- Prison inmates take up ‘Knockout’ game, target female officers
- U.S. Army hails success with drone-shooting laser
- John Kerry: Israel-Palestinian peace deal paved for April
- India diplomat who touts women’s rights busted for $3 wage to nanny
- MSNBC host Ed Schultz paid $252K by unions in 2012-2013
- Korean War memorial ordered to take down Christian cross
- Billy Graham near death, ‘close to going home to be with the Lord’
- SeaTac, Wash.: City’s new $15 minimum wage heads to court
- Obama mulls support for Islamists in Syria, with conditions
- Obama ‘birther’ theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
Pa. Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick: Obamacare hurting Sesame Place
U.S. Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick penned a letter to President Obama last week saying the president’s Affordable Care Act had caused Sesame Place, an important tourist attraction, to terminate health benefits for its part-time staff, Philly.com reported.
“This law is hurting real people in my district and around the country,” the Republican wrote.
A spokesman for SeaWorld, the amusement park’s parent company, confirmed Wednesday that the company was cutting the hours for part-time employees, but he did not confirm that Obamacare was the cause, Philly.com reported. SeaWorld did not say how many workers would be affected by the reduction in hours or the insurance change.
Under the Affordable Care Act, companies can face penalties for not providing health insurance for employees who work at least 30 hours per week.
“I continue to believe [Obamacare] must be repealed,” he wrote in the letter, “and replaced with a sustainable solution that promotes affordable access to world-class health care for which our nation is recognized.”
© Copyright 2013 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Jessica Chasmar is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- 'Saturday Night Live' rushes to find black talent after criticism
- PolitiFact's Lie of the Year: 'If you like your health care plan, you can keep it'
- Kim Jong Un executes ousted uncle, Jang Song Thaek: report
- Massachusetts brewery loses 1,500 gallons of beer in gasket leak
- Jane Fonda Foundation fails to make single contribution in 5 years: report
Latest Blog Entries
By Mangosuthu Buthelezi
Memories of a long brotherhood tempered in common struggle
- U.S. Navy-China showdown: Chinese try to halt U.S. cruiser in international waters
- Obama birther theories float, as Hawaii health director killed in crash
- Obama's Afghanistan experts stumped on U.S. death toll, war costs during hearing
- House budget bargain faces Senate filibuster; Republicans line up to oppose
- Billy Graham near death, close to going home to be with the Lord
- PRUDEN: The last living witnesses; they wore the yellow star and remember the Nazi terror
- NAPOLITANO: A conspiracy so vast
- American bourbon now better than Scottish whisky: U.K.-born expert
- North Korea's official report on Jang Song Thaek
- Dr. Ben Carson disavows efforts at presidential draft
Independent voices from the The Washington Times Communities
A stat-head’s outlook, direct from his worn in couch cushion.
John Glaser turns his pen toward foreign policy and international relations around the world
A conservative commentator and satirist takes on the worlds of politics and entertainment in pursuit of truth, justice and all things America.
Politics, economics, and business from a real world perspective.
Extraordinary day at Redskins Park
White House pets gone wild!
Let it snow