- Israel hits symbols of Hamas rule; scores killed
- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Middle Eastern firm’s deal to manage U.S. cargo port raises security concerns
- Bob McDonnell’s defense: Lonely wife developed ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House Republicans unveil bill to speed deportations of border children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
EPA’s Gina McCarthy: Climate change ‘biggest public health challenge we face’
Question of the Day
Gina McCarthy, the administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency, called climate change the biggest health issue facing the United States and that states and the private sector need to step up and take speedier steps to develop alternative energy sources.
She made the statements while speaking on “The Daily Show” on Comedy Central on Monday night.
Her words: “We’re talking about positioning the U.S. for the future as well as those companies. They know they can invest in renewable energy. They know they can make it work in an energy mix. So our job really is to drive those reductions nationally, but to make sure every state is differently positioned. Some have already done aggressive energy efficiency work. You know what? They can do a whole lot more,” Breitbart reported.
She then issued a stark warning about the fate of America, if states, businesses, regulators and lawmakers don’t take drastic measures.
“If we don’t start dealing with climate change, which is the biggest public health challenge we face, as well as the biggest economic challenge and think of it both from an environmental and economic standpoint, then I think we’re losing for the next generation and our own, quite frankly,” she said, Breitbart reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Cheryl Chumley is a continuous news writer for The Washington Times. Previously, she was part of the start-up team for The Washington Times’ digital aggregation product, Times247. She’s also a 2008-2009 Robert Novak journalism fellow with The Phillips Foundation. She can be reached at email@example.com.
- Thomas the Tank Engine show is racist, British blogger accuses
- Scott Brown struggles for political traction in New Hampshire Senate race
- Satanists to use Hobby Lobby rule to skirt state abortion laws
- Rush Limbaugh: 'There is no journalism anymore'
- Toronto's Rob Ford takes rehabbed self to kids' playground for political props
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Inside the Beltway: Immigration rage festers on all sides
- Obama's brother wears Hamas scarf bearing anti-Israel slogans in photo
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Hillary Clinton: I was indeed 'dead broke,' but shouldn't have said so
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world