- Obama admin to blame for HealthCare.gov woes, $840M cost: GAO
- Al Gore’s climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Army’s 3-D printed bombs will create ‘a whole new universe’ of deadly capabilities
- Hamas calls on Hezbollah to join in fight against Israel
- Senators to FIFA, others: Don’t reward Putin with the World Cup in 2018
- U.S. condemns Israeli shelling of shelter in Gaza
- Obamacare shoots premiums up by 88 percent in California
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- Obama to Republicans: ‘Stop just hatin’ all the time’
- U.S. chemical sites vulnerable despite millions spent on security: Congress
University offers post-doc in ‘feminist biology’ to counter ‘male, white, straight’ research
Question of the Day
The University of Wisconsin-Madison sought to “uncover and reverse gender bias in biology,” which has led to the creation of a post-doctorate in “feminist biology.”
“The program is the first in the nation — and probably the world,” saidJanet Hyde, director of the campus Center for Research on Gender & Women, on the university’s website. Dr. Hyde is a professor of Psychology and Women’s Studies who received her Ph.D. in 1972 from the University of California-Berkeley.
“All human beings have gender stereotypes in their brain,” Dr. Hyde told Campus Reform on Thursday. “Gender stereotypes are pervasive … people just don’t see things or don’t appreciate them or don’t process them when they don’t conform to stereotype notions.”
The first post-doctoral fellow, Caroline VanSickle, also responded to Campus Reform’s inquiries about the program, saying via email: “We aren’t doing science well if we ignore the ideas and research of people who aren’t male, white, straight, or rich. […] Feminist science seeks to improve our understanding of the world by including people with different viewpoints. A more inclusive science means an opportunity to make new discoveries.”
The university’s program in feminist biology begins in September.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Israel says Hamas trained operative for paraglider attack on civilians
- Army's 3-D printed bombs will create 'a whole new universe' of deadly capabilities
- ISIL destroys key bridge leading to Baghdad; suicide truck bomb severed supply line
- Chinese hackers stole 'huge quantities' of sensitive data on Israel's Iron Dome
- C-130 lands at Ramstein Air Force Base with dead boy in wheel well
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Catholic League slams Obama: 'Do Christian lives mean so little to you?'
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- HURT: Impeaching Obama is a losing strategy for the GOP
- MSNBC's Ronan Farrow questions lack of racial diversity in emoji characters
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- Fla. mom arrested for allowing 7-year-old son to walk to park alone
- CARSON: Rudderless U.S. foreign policy
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Patent workers paid to exercise, shop, do chores: report
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world