Obama urged to enforce ban on importing military-style firearms

Question of the Day

Is it still considered bad form to talk politics during a social gathering?

View results

About 80 House members wrote a letter to President Obama Wednesday urging him to renew enforcement against the import of military-style, semiautomatic firearms.

Under the 1968 Gun Control Act, they write, the president has broad authority to prohibit guns and ammunition from being imported into the country unless they are “generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes.”


SEE ALSO: At Fort Hood memorial, Obama calls for renewed focus on mental health, gun control


The effort was spearheaded by Reps. John Conyers Jr., Michigan Democrat and ranking member of the HouseJudiciary Committee, and Eliot Engel, New York Democrat and ranking member of the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

“Restoring the import ban is a no-brainer that would require no legislative action, would make our nation safer and would support neighboring Mexico where drug violence is fueled by firearms flowing south from the United States,” Mr. Engel said in a statement.

The representatives write that the ban was previously enforced during the administrations of President George H.W. Bush and President Clinton, and would improve public safety in the United States as well as neighboring Mexico, where they say there have been about 70,000 organized crime-related deaths since 2006.

“We urge you to once again fully enforce a ban on the import of military-style firearms and to expand the ban to include newly-developed AK-type pistols that combine the firepower of a rifle with the concealability of a pistol,” they wrote. “This new breed of pistol has absolutely no ‘sporting purpose’ and presents a clear threat to public safety.”

The representatives go on to write that such firearms are top weapons of choice for international drug smugglers and that there is an increasing percentage of military-style firearms identified in prosecutions in the United States.

The administration already has acted to deny requests to import U.S. surplus military firearms.

Lawrence Keane, senior vice president and chief counsel for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade group for the firearms industry, said the NSSF opposes any effort to restrict lawful firearms transactions.

“We vigorously oppose efforts by antigun politicians to further restrict the lawful commerce in commonly-owned rifles that are used for law abiding Americans for legitimate purposes like target shooting, hunting and self-defense,” he said.

The letter asks that the administration ban the import of high-capacity weapons, as well the frame or receiver of military-style weapons and the practice of importing the guns in parts and then assembling them in the country, among other items.

While the letter concerned weapons flowing into the country, the administration has come under heavy fire for its handling of operation Fast and Furious, which was intended to track sales of U.S. guns and watch the guns be shipped across the border to a Mexican drug cartel.

But the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) lost track of the roughly 2,000 weapons after they were sold.

Some of the guns eventually began showing up at crime scenes, including two that were recovered at the site of a 2010 Arizona shootout that left Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry dead.

In June 2012, the House cited U.S. Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. for contempt of Congress over Mr. Holder’s decision to withhold documents regarding the Justice Department’s actions in the botched gunwalking operation.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks