- The Washington Times - Friday, August 1, 2014

A three-day cease-fire between Israel and Hamas lasted just a couple hours, ending Friday in rocket fire first from Gaza and then leading to the reported death of 17 Palestinians.

Five Israeli soldiers were also killed, CBS News reported.

The cease-fire was announced by the United States and the United Nations a few hours earlier and was aimed to take effect at 8 a.m. Further negotiations were supposed to go forth at that hour, but plans were disrupted by rocket fire from Gaza.


SEE ALSO: Echoes of Vietnam: Israel surprised by Hamas’ advanced tunnel network


A CBS News team reported hearing explosions and was then told by Israel Defense Forces that rockets were being sent from Gaza.

Gaza officials then claimed that four or more Palestinians had been killed by tank fire from Israeli forces, CBS News reported.

It’s not clear if the firing put a permanent end to the 72-hour peace deal, CBS News said.