- The Washington Times - Friday, August 8, 2014

The Department of Homeland Security said Thursday that roughly 63,000 illegal immigrant youths were captured along the Southwest border within the last nine months.

The number of lone children spiked in May and June, but DHS said that numbers have fallen off since last month.

“We have surged resources and put in place an aggressive campaign to counter the rise of illegal migration into the Rio Grande Valley. We have dramatically reduced the removal time for many unaccompanied adults from about 33 to four days,” Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said in a statement, the Los Angeles Times reported.


SEE ALSO: Violent gang taking advantage of immigration crisis, using border as recruiting hub


Numbers released by DHS indicate that the number of illegal immigrants coming to the border with a single parent peaked in June. At that time 16,330 single parents with at least one child and 10,628 unaccompanied children entered the U.S., the paper reported.

Since news of the border crisis garnered national attention, the federal government has allocated increased resources to the border. Removal time for many unaccompanied adults has dropped from roughly one month to four days, DHS said in a statement.

“We have built additional detention space for adults with children at Artesia, New Mexico, and another facility that was transitioned last week in Karnes City, Texas, and we are about to open an additional facility for the same purpose. We have increased the number of flights to repatriate people back to Central America,” Miss Johnson said, the Los Angeles Times reported.