- Families of ferry’s lost confront South Korean officials
- 2-week truce for Sriracha hot sauce maker, California city
- NYC’s de Blasio seeks to ban wood-burning fireplaces
- Residents angry Obama mispronounced town’s name during mudslide visit
- Israel halts peace talks with Palestinians
- Netanyahu’s driver accused of raping girls under age 12
- Putin calls Internet ‘CIA project’ that must be controlled
- Muslims offended that 9/11 museum movie speaks of jihad
- Obama marks Armenian massacre, avoids using the word ‘genocide’
- Gov. Rick Perry: ‘It’s not a dare, it’s a promise’; Texas will fight BLM
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Education rotten to ‘Core’ in Maryland
Marylanders should demand to keep the public education of our children controlled and regulated by the parents, teachers and local and state educational authorities. The federal government is too far removed from our local needs and requirements.
These are things best provided by those closest to the schools and students. One size fits all on a federal level is a pipe dream at best.
I have personally conversed with friends about the horror stories of trying to help their kids with homework owing to the new Common Core curriculum. They explain that owing to the foreign and abstract methods — not what they grew up with — they spend an excessive amount of time trying to help their children, who are even more overwhelmed.
On top of that are the discouraging stories of other states that have tried this system and found it to be a miserable failure, resulting in falling grades and rising mediocrity.
Maryland received funds from the federal government in exchange for adopting Common Core. This went around the process of administrative approval.
Isn’t this collaboration between the federal and state governments a move that excludes the wishes of the people they govern? Marylanders must be feeling less sovereign and more powerless these days.
About the Author
- Former CIA head Gen. Michael Hayden to pen Times column
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Orlando well-suited for DNC
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: President 'mom jeans' vs. Putin
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: House has the power it needs
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Misunderstanding the Second Amendment
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Andrew P. Napolitano
Obama's veil of secrecy is pierced
Get Breaking Alerts
- In its hunt for Senate, Republican candidates campaign against Harry Reid
- Obamacare class-action suit opens a new legal front
- List Hillary Clinton's successes? State Dept. spokeswoman flubs answer
- 'Top Gun' for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy's approval
- Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy hailed as patriot, ripped as lawless deadbeat
- 'Conservatives' should feel exposed by Bundy's racist comments: Scarborough
- Obama avoids 'red line' for China, prepared to impose tougher sanctions on Russia
- America is an oligarchy, not a democracy or republic, university study finds
- Texas is next! AG warns BLM wants 90,000 acres after Bundy ranch standoff
- Sold out: Ukraine's leadership swapped best military weapons for cash