- Mount Everest avalanche kills a dozen Sherpa guides
- Vice principal saved from South Korean sinking ferry found hanged
- ‘I Am Alive’ app gains popularity in terror-ravaged Lebanon
- Gun giveaways gain popularity among Republican candidates
- S.C. hospital worker slapped with $525 federal fine for refilling $0.89 soda
- Teen from ‘Jihad Jane’ plot becomes youngest ever to serve time on U.S. terror charges
- Iranian woman forgives son’s killer at the gallows
- Nebraska principal sorry for ‘don’t tattle’ flier
- Illinois readies to spend $100M for Obama museum in Chicago
- John Edwards back in court — this time as a lawyer for Va. boy’s malpractice case
MILLER: Tyrant Obama will force liberalism on America
A lame duck is ruling by decree and violating the Constitution
Barack Obama was once a constitutional law professor, but now views the founding document as irrelevant. The president is ruling by decree, instead of working with a divided Congress.
The Founding Fathers would be appalled by the way the current occupant of the White House has usurped power to get his agenda passed.
There is nothing to restrain Mr. Obama, now a lame duck, from forcing his liberalism on America.
For example, the White House declared Wednesday that it will not go through Congress to create regional “climate hubs” to deal with the supposed crisis of “climate change.”
This comes on the heels of a week of grandstanding at events in which he tells Americans “I will act on my own” and throws out new executive orders for everything from schools to job training to hiring decisions.
The president thinks the American people will view him as a benevolent leader and not a tyrant for dictating policy.
Mr. Obama announced in his State of the Union speech last week that he would use executive orders to raise the minimum wage for federal contractors.
He proclaimed the Treasury Department would make a new type of retirement savings account (myRA).
The president declared he would push for more federal gun control “with or without Congress.” (This would be in addition to the more than 20 executive actions he’s taken in the past year to infringe on Second Amendment rights.)
Speaking to all the elected officials in the legislative branch, Mr. Obama said he would use his executive powers “wherever and whenever” he could.
One GOP congressman, Rep. Steve Stockman from Texas, walked out of the House chamber in the middle of the speech, saying that he “could not bear to watch” as Mr. Obama “continued to cross the clearly defined boundaries of the constitutional separation of powers.”
The day after Mr. Obama’s address to Congress, Sen. Mike Lee asked Attorney General Eric Holder Jr. in a Senate Judiciary Committee hearing whether the president was consulting him on the legality before issuing executive orders, as is required.
The Utah Republican is a former Supreme Court clerk and specialized in Supreme Court litigation in his private practice before being elected to the Senate.
Mr. Holder responded that the Justice Department was consulted on raising the minimum wage and the unilateral decision last July not to enforce the employer mandate in Obamacare until after the midterm elections.
The attorney general offered that Mr. Obama had “made far less use of his executive power at this point in his administration than some of his predecessors have” and would only do so in the future when “he is unable to work with Congress to do things together.”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Emily Miller is senior editor of opinion for The Washington Times. She is the author of “Emily Gets Her Gun … But Obama Wants to Take Yours” (Regnery 2013). Miller won the 2012 Clark Mollenhoff Award for Investigative Reporting from the Institute on Political Journalism.
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek tax investigation follows D.C. conviction for muzzleloader bullet ammunition
- MILLER: Harry Reid's hypocrisy on 'Equal Pay Day': No women on top leadership staff
- MILLER: Maryland bathroom bill for transgenders is part of LGBT lobby for sex-change rights
- MILLER: Mark Witaschek surrenders to D.C. police 'Gun Offenders Registry'
- MILLER: Michelle Obama has media blackout in China while touting freedom of press
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
By Tammy Bruce
Team Obama's bizarre behavior helps Gitmo terrorists foil justice
Get Breaking Alerts
- BOLTON: A 'three-state solution' for Middle East peace
- Joe Biden's biggest gaffe: VP blowing his 2016 head start
- With pot and e-cigarettes, Big Tobacco is just waiting to inhale emerging markets
- Obama taunts GOP, takes nationally televised victory lap on Obamacare
- DeLAY: Hearings offer ripe target in Obamacare battle
- Attacks, rapes and forced conversions to Islam spike for Egypt's Christian women: report
- Atheists rush to stage Easter display: 'Jesus Christ is a myth'
- Rand and Ron Paul ride to the rescue for Bundy in Nevada standoff with feds
- Jews being told to register in Ukraine: John Kerry
- Russian fighter jet buzzes U.S. Navy destroyer in Black Sea
Recent Letters to the Editor
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Probe Boston teen's medical, custody case
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support a modern-day Tiananmen protest
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: An honorable president would resign
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Bundy support demonstrates voters' distrust
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Obamacare disasters were avoidable