- Texas man arrested for powder-letter hoax
- Islamic State opens ‘marriage bureau’ for single jihadists
- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
NBC whitewashes Russia’s past for Sochi: Russia ‘overwhelms,’ ‘mystifies,’ ‘transcends’
Question of the Day
NBC showed us Russia’s troubled legacy through rose-colored glasses in the lead segment of its Friday broadcast of the Winter Olympic opening ceremonies in Sochi.
Game of Thrones actor, Peter Dinklage, narrated the opening footage that whitewashed the nation’s controversial communist past, Newsbusters reported.
“Russia overwhelms. Russia mystifies. Russia transcends. Through every stage of its story, it’s resisted any notion of limitation. Through ever re-invention, only redoubling its desire to case a towering presence,” Mr. Dinklage narrated.
Mr. Dinklage continued the narration, glossing over the Marxist-Leninist totalitarian state that slaughtered tens of millions of people between 1917 and 1991. “The revolution that birthed one of modern history’s pivotal experiments.”
“But if politics has long shaped our sense of who they are, its passion that endures…” Mr. Dinklage added.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
Kellan Howell, an investigative reporter for The Washington Times, covers campaign finance and government accountability. Originally from Williamsburg, Va., Kellan graduated from James Madison University where she received bachelor’s degrees in media arts and design and international affairs with a concentration in western European politics.
During her time at JMU, she interned for British technology and business news website “ITPro” ...
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- Joan Rivers: CNN should be 'ashamed' of its Israel, Gaza reporting
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Golden Hammer: U.S. squandered $34 million on failed Afghanistan soybean project
- EPA chief McCarthy, critics spar at Senate hearing over new rules
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
- White House says Russia 'losing' war in Ukraine
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Iraqi Christians rally at White House: 'Obama, Obama, where are you?'
- EPSTEIN: All IRS roads lead to the archivist
- Border surge puts Obama legacy on immigration at stake
- Inside the Beltway: Republican posse rides out to fire Harry Reid
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- KUHNER: Will Russia-Ukraine be Europe's next war?
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq