State Department security chose flight over fight in Benghazi, Senate report says

Armed State Department security agents retreated rather than fired on terrorists who were invading the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012, according to a report released Wednesday by the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence.

The Senate report says that as Islamist militants broke through the compound’s gate and began setting buildings on fire, diplomatic security agents retrieved their M4 carbine assault rifles. The agents then moved toward Building C to protect U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens, who had holed up inside.

SEE ALSO: BENGHAZI WAS PREVENTABLE: Hillary Clinton cited for major security lapses

“They encountered armed attackers and decided to return to Building B to take cover rather than open fire,” the 85-page report says. “They eventually regrouped, made their way to a nearby armored vehicle, and then drove over to assist [an] agent on the roof of building C searching for the ambassador.”

“The DS agents did not fire a single shot that night during the attack on the Temporary Mission Facility,” the report states.

Douglas Frantz, the State Department’s assistant secretary for public affairs, said the agents followed protocol.

FILE - This Sept 13, 2012 file photo shows a Libyan man investigating the inside of the  U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, after an attack that killed four Americans, including Ambassador Chris Stevens. The Senate Intelligence Committee released a report on the deadly assault on the diplomatic compound in Benghazi, Libya, Wednesday, laying blame on the State Department, the late Ambassador Chris Stevens and the intelligence community for failing to communicate and heed warnings of terrorist activity in the area and protect diplomatic facilities. The highly critical report also says the U.S. military was not positioned to aid the Americans in need, though the head of Africa Command had offered military security teams that Stevens _ who was killed in the attack _ had rejected weeks before the attack. (AP Photo/Mohammad Hannon, File)

Enlarge Photo

FILE - This Sept 13, 2012 file photo shows a Libyan man ... more >

“We’re concerned by the perception the DS agents were not doing their job, when in fact at great risk they tried to save Ambassador Stevens and Sean Smith,” Mr. Frantz said. “They tried to go back into the building to find them in the smoke. The DS agents were grossly outnumbered at that point and they are trained not to make these situations worse. The thinking was, if they went in there guns ablaze, they would simply draw fire on themselves and reduce any chance they had of finding Sean Smith and Chris Stevens alive inside the building.”

Told that the Senate report notes that no DS agent fired a shot during the attack, Mr. Frantz said, “I read the report very carefully. And I saw that. They are trained not to fire a shot unless they feel it can be effective.”

Later, a rescue team from a nearby CIA annex that included ex-military personnel arrived and fired on attackers as they collected survivors and searched for Stevens.

SEE ALSO: CURL: For liars like Obama and Clinton, ends justify means on Benghazi

Libyans later found that Stevens had succumbed to smoke inhalation in Building C. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

That the State Department’s well-armed personnel never fired a shot that night adds another wrinkle to the Benghazi chronology.

The department’s accountability review board, in its report, portrayed the diplomatic security agents as hopelessly outnumbered. It referred to the agents as “ARSO” (assistant regional security officer) and buildings as “Villas.”

“At Villa B, ARSO 3 encountered ARSO 4, who was also arming and equipping himself, and the two then attempted to return to Villa C,” the accountability review board report said. “They turned back, however, after seeing many armed intruders blocking the alley between Villas B and C. ARSOs 3 and 4, outnumbered and outgunned by the armed intruders in the alley, returned to Villa B and barricaded themselves in a back room.”

Five diplomatic security agents — State’s personal army assigned to protect ambassadors and other diplomats — were at the Benghazi compound that night. Three worked there; two others arrived with Stevens.

They were backed up by three members of the Libyan 17th February Brigade, three Libyan national police officers and unarmed locals hired by a British security company, Blue Mountain Group.

A few miles away at the CIA annex were six armed, former military personnel hired for security. Some of them left the annex in two armored vehicles for the rescue mission about 25 minutes after the 9:40 p.m. attack.

Story Continues →

View Entire Story

© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

blog comments powered by Disqus
TWT Video Picks