- Divided court strikes down big porn award
- Jimmy Carter: Don’t hurt Russian people with sanctions
- Oldest ex-MLB player dies in Cuba, 2 days shy of 103rd birthday
- ‘Top Gun’ for drones: Squadrons of carrier-based killers have Navy’s approval
- Bill Clinton to endorse Charlie Rangel for re-election
- Pfc. Bradley Manning is now Pfc. Chelsea Manning: Court says so
- Secret base U.S. special forces used to train Libyans now under terrorist control: report
- 9th suspect in N.C. kidnapping turns self in to FBI
- L.A. sheriff admits to testing flyover spy program without notifying residents
- Foreign minister vows response if Russians are attacked in Ukraine
Feds who send arms against ranch families betray American values
Topic - J. Christopher Stevens
A huge wave of public testimony, reports and documents on what happened in Benghazi now floods Washington, and little of it focuses on the role of Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton before, on, or after Sept. 11, 2012.
The recent reports by the bipartisan Senate Intelligence Committee and the House Armed Services Committee make clear that no organization in the chain of command, including the White House, should have been surprised by the tragic events that occurred at our Benghazi Special Mission Compound (SMC) on Sept. 11, 2012.
Thirty-four Americans at the U.S. Special Mission and CIA Annex in Benghazi were attacked by Islamic terrorists in two waves, the first starting at 9:40 p.m. the evening of Sept. 11, 2012.
Another day, another revelation on Benghazi. The "bipartisan" Senate Select Committee on Intelligence last week put out a scathing report on the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on U.S. diplomatic outposts in Libya, citing "systematic failures" that led to the death of Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.
Armed State Department security agents retreated rather than fire on terrorists who were invading the U.S. mission in Benghazi, says a Senate Intelligence Committee report.
The 2012 terrorist assault on the U.S. diplomatic post in Benghazi, Libya, involved attackers from several major international terrorist networks, according to a Senate report that blames the intelligence community and the State Department — and Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens himself — for lapses.
The New York Times has done excellent reporting on Libya. The newspaper was among the first to reveal that U.S.-approved arms for the Libyan rebels had fallen into the hands of jihadi groups and, more generally, on the rise of al Qaeda-affiliated groups in Libya and North Africa.
Team Obama must still answer for undeniably lax security in Benghazi
In the five months leading up to the 2012 attacks in Benghazi, Libya, there were two bombings on the consulate there. One blew a big hole in a wall; following it, U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens requested more security. Instead, the number of security personnel was reduced. Then-Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has testified that millions of cables came to her office, and because she could not read them all, she did not see the security requests.
Secrets about how the tragedy happened still remain hidden
September brings a change in seasons and a chance to remember. A dozen years have passed since the day the twin towers fell, but we never look at a bright-blue, clear September sky quite the same way, and certainly each September 11 anniversary gives us pause. With so much global agony, including conflict in Syria and throughout the Middle East, this is a good time to remind ourselves about the value of our diplomacy, particularly public diplomacy, and to remember those working overseas so that we can feel secure at home. Let's not get lulled into a false sense of security or dare to forget those who are keeping us safe.
One of President Obama's key arguments for military intervention in Syria is that its president, Bashar Assad, violated international norms by using sarin gas. While the Obama administration loudly beats the war drums over Mr. Assad's violation of international norms, it remains virtually silent on another egregious violation of international norms: the slaying of an American diplomat.
As new information surfaces about last year's attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya, and as the National Security Agency scandal continues to swirl throughout the media, the Obama administration has come out with a worldwide warning about the possibility of serious terrorist attacks.
Prosecutors have filed the first charges in the Benghazi terror attack on the U.S. diplomatic post against militia leader Ahmed Khattalah.
As the hour grew late on the night of Sept. 14, the White House wanted to make one thing clear to the State Department and the CIA as the three collaborated on what would come to be known as the Benghazi "talking points," designed to be used by Congress and administration officials to explain what had happened three days earlier at the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.
The Libyans, he said, were "wary about the imposition of a strong security apparatus so soon after they expunged Colonel Qaddafi's."
"A phone call from that senior of a person is, generally speaking, not considered to be good news," he said.