- Country singer Tim McGraw not sorry for slapping female fan: ‘Things happen’
- Iraq vet cited for owning 14 therapeutic pet ducks
- White House takes credit for drop in unaccompanied children at border
- International crises be damned, Obama’s fundraising trip must go on
- Friend of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev found guilty of impeding probe
- Train with MH17 plane crash bodies leaves rebel town in Ukraine
- Half of Colorado voters are OK with Hobby Lobby decision, poll shows
- HIV-killing condom to soon hit shelves in Australia
- Estonia pulls plug on Steven Seagal over praise for Putin
- Lawyer: Pelvic exam pics cost Hopkins $190 million
KNIGHT: Obama liberals expand government to fill hole left by declining morals
Freedom-loving Americans need to resist, pray for a revival
Question of the Day
The trouble with liberals is not just that they eventually run out of other people’s money, as Margaret Thatcher observed. It’s that they find new ways every day to project their own dysfunctional worldview on the rest of us.
It’s like living next door to a nuclear-waste dump run by the Bumpusses. You’d like to ignore it, but shards of spent fuel keep falling into your yard and setting your dog on fire.
This is how non-progressive Americans increasingly view our ever-coarsening, “progressive” popular culture and the ruling elites who promote it.
They’re aghast at not only the moral meltdown, but the rise of dictatorial executive power in Washington, as explained to us by the president in his State of the Union address, in which he reduced Congress to a helpmate at best.
As for whether the culture is rotten, ask any anxious parent whose child is out of sight for more than five minutes. Ask middle-class wage earners working on their tax return, trying to please an increasingly ruthless Internal Revenue Service.
It’s all connected.
As the moral, marriage-based culture collapses, the government grows bigger to pick up the pieces.
In such a culture, it’s easy for the president and his media allies to stoke the fires of envy and spread more dependency. It works even better when the people are stoned.
Having softened us up with cultural rot, the left is driving for total political control, with little effective opposition.
Failing to hold the administration accountable for a multitude of scandals, the Republican leadership is now trying to figure out how to raise the national debt and to turn 11 million undocumented Democrats into voters.
To suggest we can just tune out the cultural, political and social mayhem and go about our business is a non-starter. There is no escape. Even if you turn off the news, it seeps in everywhere.
Culturally speaking, there is no traditional moral standard that does not evoke a savage response from the dominant culture. Ask Phil Robertson of “Duck Dynasty.”
Likewise, there is no earned money that is not considered fair game for confiscation in the name of progress and “equality.” If you complain, you’re at best a racist, and at worst a Tea Party terrorist for whom the IRS is sharpening its knife.
The worst sin of all in the age of iron-fisted, liberal “tolerance” is to react to moral degradation by failing to facilitate it. If you get caught in a nonfestive mood, like the Christian bakery owners and wedding photographers who think the First Amendment protects their right not to be forced to celebrate sin, you are in legal jeopardy.
Coming to your state, unless you live in Jerry Brown’s California or Chris Christie’s New Jersey, which already have this abomination, is a law that says right is wrong and that wrong is mandatory.
About the Author
Robert Knight is senior fellow for the American Civil Rights Union and a columnist for The Washington Times.
TWT Video Picks
U.S. appetite for drugs begets violence migrants are fleeing
Get Breaking Alerts
- IRS seeks help destroying another 3,200 computer hard drives
- Jewish woman booted from JetBlue flight over fight with Palestinian
- Edward Snowden to work with Russia on anti-spy technology
- YOUNG: A sinking presidency, deeper after November?
- PRUDEN: A deadly enemy within exacerbating immigration crisis
- Rihanna, Dwight Howard delete #FreePalestine tweets
- U.S. scrambles as violence escalates in Israel-Hamas conflict
- Ron Paul: U.S. partly to blame for Malaysia Airlines disaster
- MERRY: Handicaps in Hillary's way
- EDITORIAL: Snipers from the left target Hillary