- HAYDEN: Intelligence, evidence and the case against Russia
- Ohio university quiz implies atheists are naturally smarter than Christians
- Rep. Henry Cuellar on border crisis: ‘Playing defense on the one-yard line’
- Activists vow to occupy fast-food restaurants to get higher pay
- Rep. Luis Gutierrez: Senate Dems wary of immigration politics
- Summer camp for 1 percenters: Sushi, limos and shopping at FAO Schwarz
- Colorado gun crackdown law found to be built on faulty data
- Hank Aaron steps to fundraising plate for Democrat Michelle Nunn
- ISIL terrorists blow up burial site of Jonah, vow more of same
- Impeach Obama, say 35 percent in new poll
CROWLEY: The takedown of the American superpower
Obama’s weakening of the nation is deliberate
Question of the Day
It amazes me that more than 5 years into Barack Obama’s presidency, otherwise-intelligent people are still wondering who he is, what he believes and why he’s doing what he’s doing. It’s not a mystery. It’s never been a mystery. Although he made a somewhat half-hearted attempt to dress up his leftist extremism when he first ran for president in 2008, his radicalism was apparent to anyone paying the slightest attention.
When Mr. Obama spoke in 2008 of seeking the “fundamental transformation” of the nation, few made the connection between his far-left activist record and what he actually intended to do as president. We now have over 5 years of evidence as to what he meant by that “fundamental transformation.” The chaos and catastrophe are the plan.
Take American foreign policy. A big part of Mr. Obama’s mission is to take America down a notch or two (or 10) internationally: to destroy our superpower status, to turn us into nothing special, just another nation on the United Nations roster. One of the cores of leftist ideology is that America is the root of all evil in the world: the source of grave injustices, genocide, war crimes, theft. Therefore, we should pay a penance. That penance should come in the form of retrenchment abroad and apologies all around. America is sorry for how she acted in the past, and as a result, will not act in the future. Mr. Obama is fundamentally uncomfortable with the use of U.S. military force, certainly with exercising it unilaterally, and has both gutted its budget and made clear that he will not use it barring an exceptional national security emergency.
Our allies got the message and realized early on that they were on their own. Our enemies figured out that they could play this administration to great effect. They’re always getting rewarded with some sort of “negotiation” or “peace process” or simple nonresponse from the United States after committing gross acts of aggression or violence.
The results have been terribly predictable. Israel faces fresh Hamas terrorist aggression. Iran works 24/7 toward acquiring a nuclear weapon. Syrian President Bashar Assad gets sworn in for another seven years as his regime continues to slaughter hundreds of thousands of people. A massive jihadi army claims a new caliphate in parts of Syria and Iraq, wiping out years of American sacrifice in a matter of weeks. Egypt is a chaotic mess. Russia moves to nail the former Soviet Union — or at least Mother Russia — back together while working hand-in-glove with Iran in Iraq, North Korea and Latin America. Poland has its promised missile-defense system yanked away. Ukraine confronts the Russian bear on its border. Crimea gets annexed by Moscow. South Korea bears the brunt of ever more provocative action from North Korea, as North Korean ships probe our western seaboard. Japan seeks greater latitude in expanding its military. Islamists control Libya, where in the aftermath of the U.S.-led overthrow of Moammar Gadhafi, they planned, coordinated and carried out a brutally efficient attack that killed our ambassador and three other brave Americans. China owns ever more of our debt and is becoming more aggressive in the Pacific. Our southern border is overrun by illegal immigrants, drug cartels and possibly terrorist cells, while Mexico continues to detain a U.S. Marine.
Not exactly the “tranquility of the global community” about which White House press secretary Josh Earnest waxed rhapsodic earlier this week. As if there is a “global community.” That only exists in the perverse and delusional minds of the extreme left.
This is all a direct result of an American commander in chief who not only will not act in the face of direct threats to our and our allies’ security, but deliberately orchestrates or ignores the chaos in order to fulfill the broader leftist agenda of slashing our power and our position in the world.
The last time we faced such a dire international situation was when President Carter drove our power and prestige into the ground. It took Ronald Reagan years to restore them. It’s going to take equally strong, unapologetic leadership to bring us back once again. This time, however, it will be an even more difficult job, because unlike Mr. Carter, Mr. Obama has wrecked the U.S. superpower on purpose. And he has two terms to finish the job.
Monica Crowley is online opinion editor at The Washington Times.
About the Author
Online Opinion Editor — Monica Crowley, a host and political and foreign affairs analyst for the Fox News Channel and host of the nationally syndicated radio program, “The Monica Crowley Show,” oversees all opinion content appearing on Washingtontimes.com and writes original content for The Washington Times. A regular panelist on “The McLaughlin Group” and an anchor on MSNBC, Ms. ...
TWT Video Picks
Second- and third-stringers eye 2016 if front-runner stumbles
Get Breaking Alerts
- Michelle Obama says money in politics is bad, asks donors for 'big, fat check'
- Presidents of Honduras, Guatemala blame U.S. for border children crisis
- 'We're coming for you, Barack Obama': Top U.S. official discloses threat from ISIL terrorists
- EDITORIAL: Detroit's water 'spigot bigots'
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- Hamas rejects Kerry's call for cease-fire; Fears grow others could join fight against Israel
- Brian Kelly, Notre Dame ready for different route to title
- Obama orders Pentagon advisers to Ukraine
- PRUDEN: The Democratic-wannabe mice under Hillary Clinton's feet
- Tom Petty: 'No one's got Christ more wrong than the Christians'