- Obama not worried about Ebola at upcoming African summit in D.C.
- Obama: ‘We tortured some folks’ after 9/11
- Obama administration asked whole D.C. Circuit to take on major Obamacare case
- Mark Levin: Topple GOP leadership or country will ‘unravel’
- Massachusetts to let police chief deny gun buys to those deemed unfit
- John Kerry condemns attack on Israeli soldiers, kidnapping
- U.S. starts to evacuate American Ebola patients from West Africa: Report
- Geraldo slammed as ‘dummy’ for backing Clinton’s bin Laden claim
- Israeli spokesman: No need to debate who broke the cease-fire
- 35 Palestinians killed; Israeli officer missing
Chemical weapons now in ISIL’s hands: Iraqi ambassador
Question of the Day
A letter sent to the United Nations by Iraqi Ambassador Mohamed Ali Alhakim pertaining to the takeover of a chemical weapons facility has been made public.
On June 12, the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) took over the depot, but weapons of mass destruction held in two bunkers still had not yet been destroyed.
“The project management spotted at dawn on Thursday, 12 June 2014, through the camera surveillance system, the looting of some of the project equipment and appliances, before the terrorists disabled the surveillance system,” Ambassador Mohamed Ali Alhakim wrote in the letter dated June 30 to U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, Reutersreported Tuesday.
The ambassador implores U.N. members to “understand” the nation’s predicament.
“The Government of Iraq requests the States Members of the United Nations to understand the current inability of Iraq, owing to the deterioration of the security situation, to fulfill its obligations to destroy chemical weapons,” Mr. Ali Alhakim wrote, Reuters reported.
When initial reports about the Muthanna facility north of Baghdad surfaced in June, U.S. Defense Department spokesman Rear Adm. John Kirby said that the materials found there were “not likely” to be used against anyone.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- Suspect in beating death of USC student lived in U.S. illegally 7 years, feds say
- China: PLA's next generation long-rang ballistic missile is here
- Australia issues arrest warrant for men believed to be homegrown ISIL terrorists
- Army's upcoming tracer rounds will light up the night while leaving enemies in the dark
- German general assigned as U.S. Army Europe's new chief of staff
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Orrin G. Hatch
Procedural changes impede the chamber's traditional deliberative function
- Border agents cleared of civil rights complaints from illegal immigrant children
- U.N. condemns Israel, U.S. for not sharing Iron Dome with Hamas
- Ben Carson takes major step toward presidential campaign
- Obama military strategy too weak for future security, panel reports
- Porn-surfing feds blame boredom, lack of work for misbehavior
- Feds raid S.C. home to seize Land Rover in EPA emission-control crackdown
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
- Ted Nugent slams 'lying freaks' at liberal media: I'm 'doing God's work'
- ON THE RUN: Competition for Redskins backup running back is heating up
- Obama vows veto of House border bill
Top 10 U.S. military helicopters
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors