- Drone almost blocks California firefighting planes
- Tornado rips off roofs, downs trees near Boston
- GOP: Environmental rules keeping agents from accessing border
- John Kerry: Millions displaced by religious fighting in 2013
- Federal appeals court rules against Virginia’s gay marriage ban
- White House says Russia ‘losing’ war in Ukraine
- Hamas turns to North Korea for weapons deal, Iran for money
- Syrian casualties surge as jihadis consolidate
- U.N. rights chief: Flight MH17 downing possible war crime
- Attack on park in Gaza war kills 10, mostly children
9/11 terror recruiter released in Syrian prisoner swap
Question of the Day
The terrorist accused of helping to recruit Mohammed Atta and other hijackers for the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks while in Hamburg, Germany, was freed from a Syrian prison in 2013, a German news outlet reported.
The terrorist, a German citizen since 1982, might even be able to return to the country to live with his family. A spokesman for Germany’s public prosecutor’s office said that the statute of limitations on the terrorism charges has run out, Al Monitor reported.
The prisoner, who was serving a 12-year sentence under the Assad regime, has reportedly been living in Aleppo since his release.
Before Zammar was captured by the CIA after the 9/11 attacks in Morocco and rendered to Syria, he was under constant surveillance by German intelligence. He is said to have been personally invited by Osama bin Laden to a terrorist training camp in 1996, and was the organizer for a travel service that shuttled terrorists to the region before the Sept. 11 attack on the United States, Al Monitor reported.
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring 'God's Rescue Squad'
- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- Gen. Martin Dempsey: U.S. viewing decades-old Russian readiness plan
- Pentagon official: Syrian terrorism 'probably the number one threat' to U.S.
Latest Blog Entries
- HuffPo: Denying women 'moral abortions' destroys 'soul freedom'
- Rangel's race taunt: Tea party a bunch of 'white crackers'
- Limbaugh: Fox News wouldn't let me criticize GOP
- Anthony Weiner: Expect more lewd photos to surface during N.Y. mayoral campaign
- Obama meets with illegal immigrants to discuss reform
TWT Video Picks
By Scott Pinsker
- Illegal immigrants demand representation in White House meetings
- Hillary Clinton: Forget Obama, George W. Bush made her 'proud to be an American'
- D.C. police chief orders officers not to arrest legal gun owners carrying weapons in public
- Tennessee Gov. Haslam slams White House for secret dump of illegals in his state
- Babson College, BYU win top spots in Money magazine's college rankings
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- Family of Marine killed in Afghanistan pushes back against cover-up
- D.C. seeks stay in order striking down ban on handguns in public
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates
- Ohio sheriff sends bill to Mexico for cost of jailing illegals
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world
Fighting in Iraq