- Mississippi abortion law can’t be enforced
- Teacher who survived Sandy Hook has book deal
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in case vs. ‘American Sniper’ author Chris Kyle
- Government OKs Arab-owned company to operate U.S. cargo port
- Defense lawyer: McDonnell’s wife had ‘crush’ on CEO
- Chinese hackers stole ‘huge quantities’ of sensitive data on Israel’s Iron Dome
- House unveils bill to speed deportations of illegal immigrant children
- Californians protest middle school for hiring white man to teach cultural studies
- Killer’s sentencing overturned because mother couldn’t find seat in courtroom
- Hillary: ‘Dead broke’ comment was ‘inartful,’ but insists it was ‘accurate’
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: More overtime rules enrich Obama
Question of the Day
The Washington Times‘ editorial board notes that the Obama administration is poised to introduce “new and murkier definitions of overtime eligibility” that will “stifle job growth” and reduce “flexibility and hours” for workers (“Working overtime to stifle job growth,” Comment & Analysis, March 17).
Currently, employers are moving jobs from liberal states such as California, which have rigid and burdensome overtime rules, to conservative states such as Arizona, which don’t, as Arizona businessman Warren Meyer explained in closing his operations in California. By making overtime rules burdensome nationwide, the Obama administration eliminates this competitive advantage enjoyed by conservative and moderate states over liberal ones. That rewards Mr. Obama’s political base even as it harms the country as a whole.
The Washington Times also notes that more burdensome and confusing overtime rules “will ignite an explosion of litigation” against employers, resulting in “fewer jobs.” However, to Mr. Obama, lawsuits are a feature, not a bug, since they enrich trial lawyers, who bankroll the Democratic Party.
Competitive Enterprise Institute
About the Author
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Time for some policy 'pars' from golfer-in-chief
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Texas law is making women safer
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: Redskins partnership is a win-win
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR: No taxpayer funds for illegals
- EDITORIAL: The two faces of Mark Warner
Latest Blog Entries
TWT Video Picks
Get Breaking Alerts
- Boehner rules out impeachment: 'Scam started by Democrats'
- Obama: 'Not a new Cold War,' but new Russia sanctions announced
- Federal judge grants 90-day stay in D.C. gun case
- Obama thanks Muslims for 'building the very fabric of our nation'
- GOP Senate candidate: Obama needs to visit Central America
- Smugglers, rainstorm combine to poke holes in border fence
- Murdered teen texted boyfriend: 'OMG ... I think I'm being kidnapped'
- D.C. seeks to stay judge's order allowing gun owners to carry in public
- Kerry's credibility questioned as fighting in Gaza rages
- Jury awards Jesse Ventura $1.8M in defamation case