- State Department: ‘No American is proud’ of certain CIA tactics
- Drug-filled drone crash outside S.C. prison sends police on alert
- GOP to Obama: Take your ‘golf cap off’ and get down to coal country
- Hamas cleric tells Jews: ‘We will exterminate you’
- San Diego Costco, Target shoppers shocked by plane crash in parking lot
- George W. Bush penning biography of father
- Israel vows to destroy Hamas tunnels
- Spain evacuates staff from embassy in Libya
- Peace Corps evacuates over Ebola fears; 2 volunteers isolated
- House overwhelmingly approves $16 billion cash infusion for VA overhaul
CURL: Obama goes from lame to laughable — in just one week
Question of the Day
It’s not often that so many incredible — even laughable — stories come along all in the same week, so let’s not waste one moment before we jump right in:
With Russia all but invading Ukraine, President Obama used the crisis as cover while he proposed his new 2015 fiscal year federal budget. And guess what? The plan calls for a $1 trillion tax hike. That’s trillion with a “T.”
Haven’t heard about it yet? Of course not. All the networks and newspapers are downplaying the proposal as they rush headlong into what they seem to hope is World War III. Details are sketcy. “Obama would boost collections by regulating tax preparers, increasing the enforcement budget by 7% and requiring more electronic filing,” USA Today reported.
Hmm. And that brings in $1 trillion? He should’ve done that years ago. But wait. “Obama’s budget contains 175 different revenue proposals,” the paper reports — including, of course, massive tax increases for anyone who isn’t in poverty (already) and huge new taxes on small businesses.
The new budget also calls for hundreds of billions in new spending. Just two months into his second term, Mr. Obama has already rung up $6 trillion in new debt ($16,687,289,180,215.37 to be exact). His latest budget is more than $800 billion short. Congress is almost sure to ignore the plan as laughable — only because it is.
But not as laughable as the president’s dealings with Vladimir Putin. In a bizarre episode, Mr. Obama last week showed up in the White House briefing room to warn the Russian president not to intervene in Ukraine, and less than 30 minutes later he declared “Happy Hour” with a band of fellow Democrats.
Any intervention in the former Soviet satellite , he said, “would represent a profound interference in matters that must be determined by the Ukrainian people. It would be a clear violation of Russia’s commitment to respect the independence and sovereignty and borders of Ukraine, and of international laws.”
Minutes later, Obama hit the Capitol Hilton hotel for the Democratic National Committee’s winter meeting. “Well, it’s Friday. It’s after 5 o’clock. So, this is now officially happy hour with the Democratic Party,” the president said at the huge fundraiser. “I can do that. It is an executive action. I have the authority.”
At one point, an audience member in the raucous crowd yelled: “Tell us about your plans for nuclear war with Russia!”
Then this happened, according to the White House transcript:
THE PRESIDENT: I’m sorry, who’s that back there? (Laughter.) What the heck are you talking about? (Applause.)
AUDIENCE: Obama! Obama! Obama!
THE PRESIDENT: No, no, don’t worry about it. We’re okay. Have a seat. I don’t know anything about that plan. (Laughter.) I don’t know what you’ve been reading. (Laughter.) Let me return to what I was talking about. (Applause.) See, he thought happy hour started earlier. (Laughter and applause.)”
© Copyright 2014 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.
About the Author
TWT Video Picks
By Ted Cruz
Israel saves its enemies; Hamas endangers its friends
- Geraldo Rivera: Matt Drudge 'doing his best to stir up a civil war'
- Al Gore's climate-changers at EPA hearings foiled by cool temperatures
- Chicken pox outbreak puts illegal immigrant facility on lockdown
- EDITORIAL: The real Lois Lerner exposed in newly released emails
- NAPOLITANO: Is the president incompetent or lawless?
- House votes to sue President Obama over claims of presidential power
- 'Big Bang' star Mayim Bialik helps send bulletproof vests to IDF
- Lois Lerner hated conservatives, new emails show
- Star witness in Bob McDonnell corruption trial refutes 'crush' defense
- CRUZ: A tale of two hospitals: One in Israel, one in Gaza
Obama's biggest White House 'fails'
Celebrities turned politicians
Athletes turned actors
20 gadgets that changed the world