- ISIL creates all-female brigade to terrorize women into following Sharia law
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Obama to Latin leaders: Help with border
- Military bans troops from Baptist church event honoring ‘God’s Rescue Squad’
- ‘Pocket drones’: U.S. Army developing tiny surveillance tools for the next big war
- Belgian cafe posts sign: Dogs allowed, but Jews stay out
- Gen. Dempsey: Pentagon studying Russian readiness plans not viewed ‘for 20 years’
- John McCain: Botched, two-hour execution of murderer is ‘torture’
- House GOP ready to move border bill
- Bomb squad called after live WWII artillery washes on Cape Cod beach
BRUCE: Veterans die while a traitor gets VIP health care
Another sign America is on the wrong track
Question of the Day
During the past couple of weeks we’ve learned more of the obscene tactic at Veterans Affairs (VA) hospitals accused of creating secret appointment lists to hide wait times for our veterans. At first, it was the shock of learning about the deaths of 40 of our patriots may be due to this obscenity at the VA in Phoenix.
Now it seems that may just be the tip of the iceberg. A whistleblower has come forward claiming Chicago’s Hines VA Medical Center also keeps secret lists in order to falsify the appointment wait times. CBS News spoke with VA social worker Germaine Clarno, who is alleging the lists are not just to game the required appointment wait time, but also to collect bonuses for doing so.
When asked by CBS about how far the fraud goes, Ms. Clarno said it was “hospitalwide.”
“We’re talking about surgery, radiology, women’s clinic, all those different areas, all the specialties, all the clinics,” she said.
It’s an apparent systemwide fraud in a bureaucracy that sees our veterans not as its clients and patients, but as numbers on a piece of paper to shuffle, lie to and lose.
Most of us want to believe that not all VA hospitals are engaging in this catastrophe, and that’s all the more reason to establish a criminal investigation now, to treat this as the emergency it is and to stop it in its tracks.
The cruelty of this behavior, which has very possibly led to the deaths of so many in Phoenix alone, exposes the natural inhumanity of the liberal bureaucracy. Now we know what happens when government controls health care and people become less important than the budget.
If there’s anyone who deserves free health care, it’s our veterans, who risk their lives in theaters of war. In our volunteer military, they are the heroes who freely agree to give everything, perhaps even their lives, to protect our nation, our future and liberty around the world.
Yet, when they return home and need us, our government employees throw them into a machine that not only doesn’t give a darn, but uses them as a pawns in a vile effort to get cash for themselves.
It’s monstrous, and not surprising. We’ve now seen this heinous disregard for the individual at every level of the federal government. Whether it’s spying on Americans, using the Internal Revenue Service to punish political opponents, abandoning diplomats to terrorists, delivering guns into the bloody paws of Mexican drug cartels, or trying to destroy the private health care system in America, there is a dangerous disconnection with normal decision-making and contempt for the basic rights of human beings.
We shouldn’t be surprised that the almost sociopathic attitude on display everyday by the Obama administration is infecting the federal system as a whole.
Strangely, if we turn from veterans to traitors, however, we learn just how much the bureaucracy can make happen in the name of health care.
Politico reports the Pentagon has approved convicted traitor Bradley Manning for transfer from prison at Fort Leavenworth, Kan., to a civilian prison so he can receive “gender treatment.” Manning, convicted of sending classified documents to WikiLeaks, has changed his name to “Chelsea,” wants hormone therapy and other medical treatment so he can realize his true self. Or something.
You see, doctors have diagnosed Manning with “gender dysphoria,” or the feeling of being a woman trapped in a man’s body. The New York Daily News reports: “By November, a military doctor there [at Leavenworth] had approved a treatment plan, including hormone therapy, but it was sent higher up the chain of command for consideration, according to a complaint filed by Manning in March over the delay in getting treatment.”
Oh, brother. Prisoners should have health care, but not the extraordinary variety, like organ transplants or sex-reassignment surgery. Rewarding criminals with access to health care that far eclipses what the average American can hope for is ridiculous, insulting and should be stopped.
About the Author
Opinion Columnist — Tammy Bruce, an Independent Conservative, is a radio talk-show host, New York Times’ bestselling author, blogger, Fox News’ on-air political contributor and a columnist at The Washington Times. Ms. Bruce served as president of the Los Angeles chapter of the National Organization for Women (NOW) and worked on several political campaigns as well. Her nationally syndicated talk ...
TWT Video Picks
By Mark Davis
The nation founders, the Lone Star State thrives
Get Breaking Alerts
- 'Pocket drones': U.S. Army developing tiny spies for the next big war
- Rahm Emanuel: Send illegal immigrant shelter kids to Chicago
- Washington Times strikes content and marketing partnership with Redskins
- CURL: Obama, staffers not even pretending any more
- NAPOLITANO: What if our democracy is a fraud?
- DCCC raising money on suggestion Obama impeachment is imminent
- ISTOOK: Obama wants to be impeached
- Tactical advantage: Russian military shows off impressive new gear
- Pentagon running out of time to find mass of missing weapons in Afghanistan
- DeSean Jackson working on offensive cohesiveness with Redskins teammates