- The Washington Times - Thursday, December 24, 2015

The report that the Homeland Security Department plans raids against illegal immigrants was widely attacked Thursday by liberals, but it did pick up one prominent supporter — Donald Trump.

Indeed, the Republican presidential front-runner went so far as to credit himself for the proposal, which has not been officially approved.

In a tweet Thursday evening, Mr. Trump expressed all-capital-letters incredulity that Immigration and Customs Enforcement is “to launch large-scale deportation raids.”

He not only said it was “about time” for the operation, but began his tweet by saying “Wow, because of the pressure put on by me …”

Ironically, a statement by the immigrant-rights group America’s Voice, which was harshly critical of the proposal, agreed with Mr. Trump’s assessment of the driving force.

“The plan raises the ugly specter of the very mass roundups and deportation advocated by several candidates running for the GOP presidential nomination—most notably Donald Trump,” the group said in a statement earlier Thursday.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide