- The Washington Times - Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Leading newspapers in the early presidential states of Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina are co-sponsoring a Republican presidential forum on Aug. 3, just days before the first Republican National Committee-sanctioned debate is to be held in Cleveland.

The Aug. 6 debate held by the RNC and Fox News will be limited to the top 10 candidates in recent public polling leading up to the debate, with a separate forum planned for earlier in the day for those outside the top 10.

“Fox says only the ‘top’ 10 candidates, as judged solely by national polling, will be allowed on its stage,” publishers of the New Hampshire Union Leader, Charleston, S.C. Post and Cedar Rapids, IA Gazette said in a joint statement. “That may be understandable later, but the first votes are half a year away, and there are a lot more than 10 viable candidates. The early primary process gives all candidates a chance to be heard. If networks and national polls are to decide this now, the early state process is in jeopardy, and only big money and big names will compete.”

The forum will be held the evening of Aug. 3 at the New Hampshire Institute of Politics at St. Anselm College, and will be broadcast nationally on C-SPAN, as well as on KCRG-TV in Iowa and WLTX-TV in South Carolina and on WGIR radio in New Hampshire.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide