"Today we are another step closer to finalizing the settlement we announced on July 2, fulfilling our commitment to help restore the Gulf economy and environment. The filing of the consent decree does not reflect a new settlement or any new money," company spokesman Geoff Morrell said. "It covers the same payments — and same amounts — disclosed by BP when we announced this agreement in July. The government has announced a number that includes amounts previously spent or disclosed by BP. As BP said in July, this settlement resolves the largest litigation liabilities remaining from the tragic accident, providing BP certainty with respect to its financial obligations and allowing us to focus on safely delivering the energy the world needs."
"This is make-or-break as far as he is concerned. He will go to the mat in order to ensure there is no more funding for a program that we see no more utility in," Mr. Morrell said. "We have been forced, despite our protestations, to eat roughly half a billion dollars a year in funding for the extra engine for the last few years, and we simply can no longer afford to do that."