- The Washington Times - Tuesday, January 29, 2002

The U.S. submarine involved in the deadly collision with a Japanese trawler last year collided with an amphibious transport ship Sunday in the Arabian Sea. No injuries were reported.
The collision occurred as the ships were preparing to transfer two sailors, Pentagon officials said yesterday. It punctured the fuel tank of the amphibious transport dock ship USS Ogden and caused some damage to the USS Greeneville, the officials said.
The Greeneville collided with a Japanese fishing vessel off Hawaii on Feb. 9, 2001, killing nine persons on the fishing boat. On its first major deployment after that accident, the sub grounded while trying to enter the Saipan seaport in rough seas in August.
Initial reports from the scene of Sunday's accident said the Greeneville was on the surface about 40 miles off the coast of Oman in the northern Arabian Sea.
"Both ships continue to operate safely," said Pentagon spokeswoman Victoria Clarke.
The vessels were operating in support of the war in Afghanistan, Miss Clarke said. The submarine was to continue on its planned journey to the island of Diego Garcia, where it was to receive an underwater assessment of its damage, Miss Clarke said.
"What went wrong, we don't know," Rear Adm. John Stufflebeem, deputy director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters at the Pentagon briefing.
The rear portions of the ships touched, he said.
Adm. Stufflebeem said the Ogden would remain on station in the northern Arabian Sea and repairs might be made at sea. Divers have gone over the side to assess the damage, he said.
As a precaution, the submarine remained on the surface while traveling to Diego Garcia, the admiral said.
One Navy officer, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said the weather conditions were described as windy at the time of the incident.
The collision occurred at 9:55 a.m. local time Sunday, said the officer.
At the time of the accident, two sailors from the sub were being transferred because of deaths in their families. They had been granted emergency leaves, the officer said.
The men were supposed to have been placed on a small boat from the Ogden and taken to the larger ship, but the transfer had not yet taken place at the time of the accident. Because of the collision, the transfer never took place.
The collision made a 5-by-18-inch puncture in one of the Ogden's fuel tanks 15 feet below the water line on its right side. Several thousand gallons of light diesel fuel leaked into the sea, the officer said.
Because of windy conditions, the fuel headed away from shore and toward the open sea, the officer said.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide