- The Washington Times - Friday, October 11, 2002

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) Christian Taylor spotted the Dodge Dakota pickup with the Kansas State University plate as he walked through the parking lot of his apartment complex on a snowy morning in December 2000.
Just minutes earlier inside his apartment, he had flipped through the local TV news shows, all reporting the brutal killings of four young persons and a description of that pickup truck.
Mr. Taylor told jurors yesterday that he noticed a truck matching the description had been parked just two spaces away from his car. A big television was in the truck bed, and a man was standing beside the truck, he said.
He quickly looked away and got into his car. He then drove to the nearest police station.
"I was worried this person may know that the police were looking for this vehicle and might try to injure someone that had seen it," he said.
Mr. Taylor spotted the truck about 6:30 a.m., just a few hours after a night of terror ended for four persons who were fatally shot, execution-style, in a snow-covered soccer field. The truck had been stolen from one of the victims.
Mr. Taylor's call led police to the apartment where investigators said they found much of the victims' stolen property. His actions also led them to Reginald Carr.
Reginald Carr, 24, and Jonathan Carr, 22, are on trial in Sedgwick County District Court for crimes stemming from a nine-day rampage that left five persons dead. Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty for the two brothers.
Most of the charges stem from the night of Dec. 14-15, 2000, when five persons were abducted from a Wichita home and forced to engage in sexual acts and to withdraw money from automated teller machines. Then they were all shot. Four of them Aaron Sander, 29; Heather Muller, 25; Brad Heyka, 27; and Jason Befort, 26 died.
Mr. Befort's fiance, a 25-year-old school teacher, survived. She ran naked through the snow for nearly a mile seeking help.
The other charges against the Carrs involve the Dec. 11, 2000, fatal shooting of Ann Walenta, 55, and the Dec. 7, 2000, robbery in which Andrew Schreiber was abducted and forced to withdraw cash from an ATM.
The Carr brothers are black, and all their victims were white. The case has drawn attention from critics who say that the Carrs should have faced hate-crimes charges.
Sedgwick County District Attorney Nola Foulston asked the Wichita court to seal the records in the case leading to speculation that she was trying to cover up evidence of racial hatred by the brothers.
In testimony earlier yesterday, jurors saw much of the evidence taken from the ransacked house from which the five friends were abducted.
Among the items brought to the courtroom was the blood-stained golf club that investigators believe was used to kill a small dog belonging to the woman who survived.
Barbara Siwek, crime-scene investigator for the Wichita police department, testified yesterday about evidence she collected at the home where part of the attack took place.
Among the dozens of photos jurors viewed was a picture of a dead dog, as well as a puddle of blood on a bed and the dog's broken muzzle. The killing of the dog is among the 113 charges the brothers face in the crime spree.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide