Monday, April 12, 2004

JERUSALEM — Israeli political sources said yesterday that Prime Minister Ariel Sharon will get a written U.S. pledge that in exchange for a Gaza pullout, Israel will be able to keep parts of the West Bank under a future peace deal.

There was no immediate U.S. comment three days before Mr. Sharon was to meet at the White House with President Bush on his unilateral plan to withdraw from Gaza and four of the 120 Jewish settlements in the West Bank.

U.S. sources in Washington said last week that “understandings” had been reached with Israel on key aspects of Mr. Sharon’s plan after officials close to him said he expected approval to retain parts of the West Bank.



Palestinians, while welcoming the prospect of an Israeli pullout from the Gaza Strip, fear the move masks intentions to annex West Bank settlement blocs.

“I hope this visit will be successful and allow Israel to make gains on all fronts,” Mr. Sharon told reporters, as his Likud Party set April 29 as the date for a binding referendum among its 200,000 members on the withdrawal plan.

The vote is expected to be close. Should Likud approve Mr. Sharon’s proposal, it would be put to a vote within his Cabinet and later in Israel’s parliament when it convenes in early May after a monthlong recess.

The Israeli sources said Washington’s assurance would come in a letter Mr. Bush will hand Mr. Sharon on Wednesday at a meeting where Israel is expected to receive a U.S. green light to unilaterally “disengage” from the Palestinians.

The Israeli daily Ha’aretz, quoting from what it said was the planned letter from Mr. Bush, said borders to be established under any final peace accord would reflect “demographic realities,” an allusion to large settlement enclaves in the West Bank.

A source in Mr. Sharon’s office said the issue would be on the Washington agenda.

Analysts say the more benefits the United States offers Mr. Sharon, the easier it will be for him to overcome hard-line resistance at home for his plan to withdraw from Gaza and four of some 120 West Bank settlements.

The Palestinians want all of the West Bank and Gaza, seized by Israel in the 1967 Middle East war, for a viable state they hope to establish under a U.S.-backed “road map” peace plan.

But sources in Mr. Sharon’s office said Mr. Bush would make clear he does not expect Israel to quit all the West Bank under any deal.

“I do not know the exact wording. But it will definitely contain an insistence that Israel will not return to the 1967 border,” said a source, referring to the expected Bush letter.

Palestinians cried foul. “The side that needs assurances and guarantees is our side,” Prime Minister Ahmed Quriea told reporters. His foreign minister is to visit Washington a week after Mr. Sharon.

“This is the worst American political position since 1967. We will reject it,” said Yasser Abed Rabbo, a member of the Palestine Liberation Organization’s ruling executive committee. “It replaces the road map with the Sharon plan.”

The source in Mr. Sharon’s office said the prime minister would reiterate Israel’s commitment to the road map and the vision of a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

“Disengagement is good for peace. There is no doubt this plan creates an opening in the future for a peace process,” Mr. Sharon said.

Mr. Sharon has said that more than three years of violence has shown that Israel has no real Palestinian peace partner. In further violence yesterday, witnesses said Israeli troops fatally shot a Palestinian villager during a search for militants.

Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide