- The Washington Times - Tuesday, November 23, 2004

BALTIMORE (AP) — Former Baltimore police Commissioner Kevin P. Clark suspected that some officers investigating a domestic dispute in which he was involved were out to get him, according to newly released documents.

“There’s a book that’s actually out. … And it tells you how to take down the top guy. And I’m looking at it. They’re actually going right through this process,” Mr. Clark told investigators on May 24, according to transcripts in the documents.

The transcripts of interviews with Mr. Clark, his fiancee, Deputy Commissioner Kenneth Blackwell and others are connected to the ex-commissioner’s domestic-dispute case and were released Monday by city officials.

Mayor Martin O’Malley fired Mr. Clark on Nov. 10, saying although accusations against him were unsubstantiated, they had become a distraction to fighting crime. Mr. Clark sued the mayor last week, seeking $60 million in damages, claiming unlawful dismissal.

The investigation was conducted by the Howard County Police Department, at the request of Mr. O’Malley, while Mr. Clark, 48, went on voluntary paid leave.

The mayor announced June 2 that the investigation found the accusations against Mr. Clark to be unsubstantiated, but refused to make the report public. The Baltimore Sun and WBAL-TV sued Mr. O’Malley to release the report.

After two courts ruled against the mayor, he released the report on Nov. 2. Although the report found accusations related to a May 15 incident to be unsubstantiated, it revealed earlier unsubstantiated accusations against Mr. Clark.

The documents released Monday account for a majority of the evidence gathered by Howard County police during its investigation.

The hundreds of pages offer details about what Mr. Clark and his fiancee, Blanca Gerena, said took place on May 15 inside their North Baltimore condominium and about Mr. Clark’s description of the 1989 domestic dispute with his wife at the time. That dispute prompted the New York Police Department to place him on administrative duties for four months during the investigation.

Mr. Clark told investigators that the 1989 abuse charge arose from a phone call that his mother-in-law made to police. At the time, Mr. Clark said, he was separating from his wife. The couple remain estranged but married.

On the May 15 incident, Mr. Clark and his fiancee told Howard County investigators in separate interviews that he awoke about 2 a.m. to find her preparing to leave for New York. Miss Gerena, 40, was upset that he was going to work that day, when the Preakness was to be run, instead of traveling with her.

They got into an argument, which Mr. Clark described as “mild,” and he told Miss Gerena to leave.

Miss Gerena said she walked out upset, forgetting her keys and cell phone. That’s when she asked officers stationed outside if she could use a phone, she said.

The officers reported her saying, “He assault me.”

Miss Gerena told investigators that she said, “He hates me.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide