- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 3, 2005

ANNAPOLIS — Veteran lacrosse referee Scott Boyle, 55, of Lutherville, Md., collapsed during yesterday’s game between No. 5 Navy and No. 9 Georgetown at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium and later died of an apparent heart attack.

Anne Arundel Medical Center spokeswoman Martha Harlan said Boyle was pronounced dead shortly after he arrived at the hospital.

Navy trainer Joe English and Georgetown trainer Stacey Slayback rushed onto the field and attended to Boyle, who collapsed between the first and second quarters about 15 yards from Georgetown’s goal.

Commander Kevin Ronan, a Navy physician, performed CPR and made several unsuccessful attempts to revive Boyle with a defibrillator. All efforts to resuscitate him failed.

Fire officials were immediately notified at 1:35 p.m., and an ambulance arrived three minutes later to treat Boyle for cardiac arrest. Boyle was then transported to Anne Arundel Medical Center at 1:54 p.m.

Butch West and Andy Motsko, the other game officials, consulted with several people, including Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk, Navy coach Richie Meade and Georgetown coach Dave Urick, before the decision was made to suspend the game. It will be resumed today at 1 p.m. at Navy’s Rip Miller Field.

“They were not too anxious to keep going,” Urick said of the officials. “They felt they should be with Scott’s wife at the hospital. My perspective on the whole thing was to put the decision whether we keep going in their hands. … It’s a lacrosse game. We can finish a lacrosse game any time.”

The Hoyas led the Midshipmen 2-0 on goals from Nick Miaritis and Trevor Casey. Both teams were on the sideline during the timeout between the first and second quarters when Boyle collapsed.

“We were coming out of the timeout and looked over and saw him on the ground,” Meade said. “There aren’t a lot of things that can happen to you [in that situation].”

The teams will return to Annapolis today and resume the game in the second quarter. It won’t be on the same field, but it is uncertain how anyone will cope with yesterday’s tragedy.

“I think it’s going to be tough,” Meade said. “I work at the Naval Academy. Things happen here. We’re going to have to focus on what we have to do tomorrow and balance both of those things. I don’t know how we’re going to do it, but we’re going to do it.”

Boyle, an official for 36 years, refereed several big games throughout his career. He was an official in the March 26 meeting between Johns Hopkins and Virginia, then the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country.

Boyle’s brother, Darby Boyle, in a statement for the family, said, “Navy physicians and trainers for Georgetown and the staff at Anne Arundel Medical Center did everything they could. We appreciate their help. My brother died on the field.”

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide