- The Washington Times - Monday, October 24, 2005


Pilot suspended for alcohol suspicion

MIAMI — A pilot for a Washington-bound United Airlines flight was removed from the cockpit and questioned by police after security screeners at Miami International Airport reported smelling alcohol, police said.

The pilot was not arrested and no breath test was performed, but the airline suspended him pending an internal investigation. The Federal Aviation Administration also is investigating.

The pilot was boarding Flight 1404 to Washington when Transportation Security Administration screeners thought they smelled alcohol and alerted police, said FAA spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen.

“The officer noticed what appeared to be an odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the pilot and requested that he exit the aircraft,” said Miami-Dade Police Detective Juan del Castillo.


Humpback whales arrive early

LIHUE — The season’s first humpback whales arrived off the shores of Kauai about a week earlier than in the past two years.

The early arrivals, from feeding grounds in the Arctic, were mostly females and young whales, said Dave Matilla, science and rescue coordinator for the Hawaiian Islands Humpback Whale National Marine Sanctuary. About 5,000 of the creatures come to Hawaii each year to mate and calve.


Police search for missing student

NORMAL — Family and friends of Olamide Adeyooye are still searching for the Illinois State University student, and police are intensifying their hunt.

The 21-year-old student has been missing since Oct. 13. Police have announced that the case is a criminal investigation.

Makeshift search parties are scouring the woods and other areas in the Bloomington-Normal area.

Miss Adeyooye was born in Nigeria and moved to the United States with her mother at age 8. The last time anyone talked to her was Oct. 13, when she had a phone conversation with her boyfriend, who has been on the road touring with a band.


Amtrak engine catches fire

LOCKRIDGE — An Amtrak locomotive caught fire Saturday, delaying the Chicago-bound train carrying 164 passengers but causing no serious injuries, authorities said.

The crew separated the burning engine from the passenger cars in southeastern Iowa, and officials planned to use the train’s remaining locomotive to pull the eastbound California Zephyr later Saturday.

“We will be severely delayed,” Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black said. “But we need to get the people to their destinations.”

The diesel engine, one of two, caught fire shortly before 5 p.m. in an apparent fuel-related blaze, he said.

“We don’t know what ignited it, perhaps a leak,” Mr. Black said.

Lockridge firefighters extinguished the blaze, officials said.


Small town prepares for Gorbachev visit

LINDSBORG — The school band in this small Kansas town is practicing the Russian national anthem, detectives are conducting security checks and preparations are being made for a parade — a chess parade.

It’s all for former Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev, who will visit the home of the Karpov Chess School next weekend to launch a worldwide campaign of promoting peace through chess.

Seven-time world chess champion Anatoly Karpov — namesake of the school — invited his friend Mr. Gorbachev to visit Lindsborg to start the Chess for Peace campaign.

Chess for Peace will include a series of Internet matches throughout the world. The winners will be invited to Lindsborg in June for a weeklong festival.

To honor Mr. Gorbachev, who will lecture Friday at Kansas State University, Lindsborg will have a chess parade, a scholastic chess tournament and a match between Mr. Karpov and former world chess champion Susan Polgar. Also scheduled are a formal dinner and keynote address by Mr. Gorbachev at Bethany College.


Boater found alive, but dad swept away

EXETER — A 20-year-old man who disappeared with his father on a sailboat trip was found alive in the vessel five days later and 130 miles from shore, but the search for the father was called off.

After his rescue Thursday, Asher Woods told authorities that his father, Stephen, had been swept overboard without a life vest early in the journey.

The boat usually was stocked with life jackets and foul weather gear, but that equipment was missing and might have been stolen before the men set sail Oct. 15 from Rockland, Maine, said Thomas Gage, Stephen Woods’ law partner.

The Stratham men had been sailing the 41-foot, two-masted Niobi from its warm-weather home in Rockland to its winter quarters 120 miles away in Rye, N.H.


Window washer dies in five-story fall

PORTLAND — A window washer plunged five stories to his death as he was working on a downtown office building, officials said.

Eloy Gonzalez Cacho, 31, was planning to rappel from the roof down the wall of the Regence BlueCross BlueShield building in Portland. But his equipment — either his harness, the rope, carabiner, knots or anchor point — failed him.


Snake bite puts teen’s arm at risk

POTTSTOWN — A 14-year-old girl might lose her arm after being bitten by a poisonous copperhead snake at school, authorities said.

The snake was caught in Valley Forge by a 17-year-old boy, who took it in a shoebox to a drama club gathering at St. Pius X High School on Friday, Lower Pottsgrove Police Chief Ray Bechtel said. No regular classes were held that day, which was designated for staff development.

The boy was showing the reptile to other students when it bit the girl’s finger, Chief Bechtel said.

The girl, whose name was not released by police, apparently threw the snake across the room and the boy threw it outside. The snake was not found, but authorities were able to identify it because the boy photographed it with his camera cell phone, Chief Bechtel said.


Hot coffee foils carjacking attempt

BLUFFTON — A would-be carjacker got a different kind of jolt from his intended victim’s morning cup of coffee, authorities said.

The man tapped the car window Wednesday morning with a gun and motioned for the driver to get out, Chief Deputy Roy Hughes said.

But the driver, who had just bought a cup of hot coffee, slammed the car door into the carjacker’s legs, threw the coffee at his neck and face and wrestled him to the ground, Deputy Hughes said.

A shot was fired during the scuffle, but no one was hurt, Deputy Hughes said. He said the driver managed to get the gun from the assailant and point it at him. The attacker then ran into nearby woods, Deputy Hughes said.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide