- The Washington Times - Saturday, September 23, 2006

DISTRICT

Fatal stabbing in Southeast

A District man was stabbed to death in the hallway of a Southeast apartment building early yesterday, the Metropolitan Police Department said.

Police officers found the victim, who had been stabbed in the neck, in the building in the 1200 block of Talbert Street Southeast at about 3:30 a.m., a department spokesman said. The victim was identified as Dion Toweles, 50, who lived in the building.

MARYLAND

LAUREL

Israeli man freed after taking photos

An Israeli man has been released after he was questioned about taking pictures during his drive Friday night through the Fort McHenry Tunnel in Baltimore. The man was stopped by state troopers outside of Laurel after he turned around on Powder Mill Road and headed north on Interstate 95 toward Baltimore.

The man told police he took the pictures because there’s nothing in Israel like the tunnel, which runs under Baltimore’s harbor. The man was in the area to spend the Rosh Hashana holiday with friends. His passport indicates he’s been in the United States for about six weeks.

A state police spokesman said the man was released after authorities checked out his story. They spoke with the Connecticut owner of the Dodge minivan he was driving. The man was allowed to leave the agency’s College Park barracks at about 11:30 p.m.

HAGERSTOWN

Grant helps preserve Antietam battle area

A $1.8 million state grant has been awarded to Washington County to preserve from development land around Antietam National Battlefield.

The money will be used to preserve the land through the Rural Legacy Program. The county’s rural legacy area is around the battlefield.

The program helps local governments preserve significant natural, agricultural and cultural areas, according to the county. Officials say their goal is to preserve about 12,000 rural legacy acres near the battlefield. About 3,300 acres have been preserved through the program.

COLLEGE PARK

FBI report finds crime spike at UMd.

An FBI report shows 38 violent crimes at the University of Maryland last year. The number was the third highest reported among the 545 campuses that filed crime statistics with the agency.

The report mentions 18 robberies, twice as many as in the previous year, and 18 assaults, five more than the previous year.

Agency officials said numerous factors influence crime on campuses, and they cautioned against using the data to compare schools.

University officials said they have taken steps to address the crime problems, including the installation of more security cameras and adding six more officers to the 94-member campus force.

ROCKVILLE

Montgomery continues counting ballots

Members of the Montgomery County Board of Elections yesterday continued their review of provisional ballots cast in the Sept. 12 primary elections.

When they started at 1 p.m., more than 9,900 provisional ballots had been counted. About 35 canvassers have been helping with the process since Monday. The count has to be completed this weekend so it can be certified by tomorrow, as required by state regulations.

A spokeswoman said the elections board had about 500 ballots to work on yesterday afternoon and that she was optimistic the board would complete its work before today.

The ballots could affect the contest for the Democratic nomination in the 4th Congressional District between incumbent Albert R. Wynn and challenger Donna Edwards. Mr. Wynn holds a lead of about 2,000 votes.

VIRGINIA

RICHMOND

Bush approves funds for storm damage

Requests for federal assistance to state and local governments for damage caused by Tropical Storm Ernesto have been approved, but aid for property owners was not approved.

The state’s Department of Emergency Management said President Bush approved Gov. Timothy M. Kaine’s request. The request covers government and certain private, nonprofit costs for damage to critical infrastructure, debris removal and related emergency services.

The storm caused seven deaths and an estimated $118 million in damage in the East.

The money will be made available to Accomack, Caroline, Charles City, Dinwiddie, Essex, Gloucester, Isle of Wight, James City, King William, Lancaster, Mathews, Middlesex, Northampton, Northumberland, Richmond, Surry, Sussex, Westmoreland and York counties and the cities of Poquoson and Richmond.

Funds are also available for government projects that help reduce disaster risks by protecting homes and businesses against future damage.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide