- The Washington Times - Tuesday, August 21, 2007


Sheriff to plead guilty and resign

ATLANTA — A sheriff accused of lying to state investigators and hiding evidence to protect two deputies charged in a drive-by shooting attack on a local resident will plead guilty to charges and resign today, officials said.

Towns County Sheriff Rudy Eller will plead guilty to unspecified charges at an afternoon court hearing, said Mike Weaver, Sheriff Eller’s attorney.

Sheriff Eller is expected to resign after entering his plea, said investigator Robert Kern, spokesman for the sheriff’s office. An interim sheriff has not been selected, Mr. Kern said.

Towns County Deputy Jessie Gibson, 56, and Chief Deputy Eddie Osborn, 41, faced aggravated assault and obstruction charges in the shooting July 9 at the home of Gary Dean of Hiawassee. A Georgia Bureau of Investigation affidavit said Mr. Dean, who was not injured, was “involved in an ongoing intimate relationship” with Deputy Osborn’s wife.


Contest picks best breakfast on stick

SPRINGFIELD — Mix one egg with other ingredients of choice. Put results on a stick.

Those were about all the recipe requirements involved at the Illinois State Fair’s newest culinary contest, the battle to make the best breakfast on a stick.

The state Agriculture Department and the American Egg Board deemed two entries worthy of first place Saturday. Beverly Cutler’s sensational sunrise dippers — sausage, egg and cheese wrapped in a biscuit with a side of gravy — shared the top prize with Anthony Karas’ bacon-wrapped savory buttermilk crepes.

Rachael Eden won the junior division with healthier fare featuring curry, bean sprouts and snow peas in a wonton wrapper. And eggs and a stick.

The entries were judged according to taste, appearance, creativity and ease of preparation, said Karen Fraase, a marketing representative for the Department of Agriculture.


Children found dead; mom hospitalized

THIBODAUX — Two children, ages 7 and 9, were found dead in a home in Lafourche Parish yesterday and their mother was hospitalized with what appeared to be a self-inflicted knife wound, the sheriff’s office said.

Deputies were summoned to the home in the town of Mathews after family members realized the children had not gone to school yesterday morning, the sheriff’s office said.

The identities of the family members were being withheld. The mother was reported in stable condition at St. Anne General Hospital.

Sheriff Craig Webre said there was no indication that anyone else was in the house when the children were killed. The cause of the children’s death was not released.


Authorities find last bridge victim

MINNEAPOLIS — The remains of the last person missing after an interstate bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River nearly three weeks ago have been found, bringing the official death toll to 13 and relief to the only family still awaiting word on a missing loved one.

Gregory Jolstad, nicknamed “Jolly,” was on the construction crew that was resurfacing the bridge when it fell Aug. 1 during the evening rush hour. Mr. Jolstad, 45, was driving a skid loader, commonly known by the brand name Bobcat.

Divers had gone back into the water early yesterday, and Lisa Jolstad said officials vowed to continue until they found her husband.

Mr. Jolstad was one of 18 construction workers on the bridge working for Progressive Contractors Inc. Seven of the other 17 suffered injuries, but none critical.


Lawsuit challenges new abortion law

JEFFERSON CITY — Planned Parenthood filed a lawsuit yesterday seeking to strike down a new Missouri law that it claims could eliminate abortion services in large parts of the state by subjecting clinics to stringent oversight.

The federal lawsuit contends that the law, which takes effect next Tuesday, would infringe on abortion rights, and asks a judge for an injunction blocking it.

If the law takes effect, Planned Parenthood of Kansas and Mid-Missouri claims, it will be forced to halt abortions at its Columbia and Kansas City offices — either permanently or while costly and “medically unnecessary” renovations are made. That would leave the St. Louis area as the only place in Missouri with functioning abortion facilities, the lawsuit said.

Missouri’s pro-life majority in the General Assembly contends the law is necessary to ensure the health and safety of women seeking abortions.


Wildfire destroys, threatens homes

BILLINGS — More than 300 homes were evacuated as a wildfire destroyed two houses and cut off the main entrance to a Billings subdivision, officials said yesterday.

At some of the remaining homes, firefighters were battling the flames “right up to the back door,” said William Rash, chief of the Lockwood Fire Department.

Resident Kelsey Ebinger said she and her brother drove out in a convoy of about 60 cars as the 1,000-acre fire, reported on Sunday, spread.

Gusty wind and low humidity helped spread flames elsewhere in western Montana, prompting more evacuations near several blazes, including one near Seeley Lake that had destroyed one house and damaged several others. Firefighters were pulled off the blaze after it jumped control lines and grew to 31,520 acres. It was 25 percent contained yesterday.

Southeast of Missoula, Granite County authorities evacuated 213 cabins and homes in the path of a complex of fires that had charred at least 44,000 acres in three national forests.


Graham suffers more intestinal bleeding

BOONE — The Rev. Billy Graham’s son says he expects his father to recover from a second bout of intestinal bleeding.

The evangelist remains at a hospital in Asheville, where he was admitted early Saturday. There was renewed bleeding early yesterday, an episode during which the elder Mr. Graham was fully alert, said Merrell Gregory, a spokeswoman for Mission Health & Hospitals.

But the Rev. Franklin Graham said the bleeding stopped and his father’s blood pressure was restored.

The hospital says the elder Mr. Graham is in fair condition. Doctors are performing tests to find the source of the bleeding, Miss Gregory said.

Mr. Graham said his father’s illness doesn’t appear to be life-threatening, although he said anything that weakens the 88-year-old preacher is a matter of concern and people’s prayers are appreciated. He added that his father remains alert and engaged in his ministry’s evangelistic work.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide