- The Washington Times - Wednesday, May 16, 2007

LONDON (Agence France-Presse) — Britain’s Prince Harry will not be sent to Iraq as previously planned, Britain’s army chief said yesterday, citing safety concerns.

The third-in-line to the throne was said to be “very disappointed” by the announcement, but a royal spokesman said he would not quit the army.

Gen. Richard Dannatt acknowledged Harry’s feelings, but said the risk of him and fellow soldiers being targeted was too great.

“I have decided today that Prince Harry will not deploy as a troop commander with his squadron,” he said in a statement, adding that his decision was “final.”

“There have been a number of specific threats — some reported and some not reported — which relate directly to Prince Harry as an individual. These threats expose not only him but also those around him to a degree of risk that I now deem unacceptable.”

Harry, 22, is a second lieutenant in the elite Blues and Royals regiment.

Gen. Dannatt said earlier this month that Harry would serve in Iraq, despite press reports that he would not go because he could be at risk from insurgents.

Clarence House, the official residence of Prince Charles and his two sons Princes William and Harry, made it clear that Harry would not quit the army.

“Prince Harry is very disappointed that he will not be able to go to Iraq with his troops on this deployment as he had hoped,” it said. “He fully understands and accepts Gen. Dannatt’s difficult decision and remains committed to his army career.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide