- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 3, 2008

UPDATED:

Three suspects have been arrested and charged in connection with a drive-by shooting in the District’s Trinidad neighborhood this summer in which a 13-year-old boy was killed, the Metropolitan Police Department said Wednesday.

Police say they arrested D.C. Superior Court.

There are five suspects in total. Police said one suspect confessed early last week and led to the most recent arrests. The fourth is being held in unrelated charges in Prince George’s County, and a fifth suspect has not been identified.

“I promised the Trinidad community months ago that I would not stop until those responsible for Alonzo’s murder were brought to justice,” said police Alonzo Robinson. “Detectives have been working tirelessly since July to bring closure to this case for the sake of the family and the residents who live in Trinidad.”



Alonzo was killed in the early-morning hours of July 19 outside his great grandmother’s home. He was visiting with his family from Alabama.

Seven people were assaulted in the attack, including five who were shot. Alonzo was the only victim to die from his injuries.

“The death of Alonzo Robinson was a tragic loss for his family and the entire community continues to mourn for him,” Mayor Adrian M. Fenty said. “I commend the efforts of Chief Lanier and the officers of MPD who have worked vigorously to ensure that justice is served in this case.”

The multiple shootings led Mr. Fenty and Chief Lanier in part to continue Neighborhood Safety Zone checkpoints in Trinidad to prevent similar attacks on residents.

The checkpoints were established June 7-12 and July 19-27. More than 800 cars passed through the checkpoints, and there were no violent crimes in the Trinidad area at that time.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide