- The Washington Times - Tuesday, June 3, 2008

HAGERSTOWN, Md. | A Western Maryland dairy farmer whose investment in cloned cattle led to his financial ruin pleaded guilty Monday to 15 counts of animal cruelty for underfeeding his herd. The convictions include two felonies for two cows that starved to death.

Gregory C. Wiles, 41, of rural Williamsport, was given a suspended three-year prison sentence and placed on probation for three years. The plea agreement in Washington County Circuit Court bars him from owning livestock while on probation and requires him to repay the Humane Society of Washington County $22,000 to help cover the group’s cost of caring for more than two dozen cows that animal-control officers seized in December.

Wiles also must relinquish seven cattle and a horse living on his property. And he must disclose the location of livestock that he or his family have sold since Dec. 6, when officers executed the first seizure warrant.

Humane Society Executive Director Paul Miller said after the hearing that the latter provision is to ensure the health and safety of any cattle Wiles owned.

Wiles said authorities hope to locate a clone named Genesis, a 7-year-old Holstein that Mr. Miller said isn’t among the animals in the society’s possession.

“They would like to know where that clone is,” Wiles said. He refused to discuss the clone’s whereabouts.

In return for Wiles’ guilty plea, prosecutors dropped 19 other counts, including three more felonies stemming from starvation deaths. Of the 33 cows seized in December, seven died and one gave birth to a bull calf, leaving 27 now in the Humane Society’s care, Mr. Miller said.

Wiles’ lawyer, assistant public defender John Maclean, said in court that his client had not intentionally underfed his cattle.

“He fed them what he thought was appropriate,” Mr. Maclean said. He said cold weather may have increased the cows’ need for food, but that Wiles “thought he was doing enough at the time.”

Mr. Miller said neighbors concerned about the condition of the animals had contacted authorities, who arrived to find one cow already dead. In charging documents, Mr. Miller wrote that the cows were “chronically and habitually underfed.”

Wiles didn’t explain himself in court. Outside the courtroom, he and his wife, Becky, tearfully said they had done their best.

“We would never hurt those animals, never,” Mrs. Wiles said.

Wiles said the charges were the culmination of five years of difficulty stemming in part from his decision in 2001 to have one of his most productive milk cows cloned twice. He had planned to profit from sales of the clones’ offspring, but business dried up after the Food and Drug Administration asked farmers in 2003 to refrain from selling products from cloned animals into the food supply. For years, Wiles dumped milk from the clones and their 15 offspring.

One of the clones died in January 2006. That month, the financially strapped Wiles was evicted from the family farm that he managed for failing to pay rent to his father. He placed most his cattle on two nearby farms.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide