- The Washington Times - Sunday, April 12, 2009

Miami (Ohio) defenseman Kevin Roeder did exactly what was required, especially in overtime in the national championship game.

Boston University defenseman Colby Cohen got the puck at the right point, and Roeder prepared to hit the deck to block the blast.

Roeder did get a piece of it. Unfortunately for the RedHawks, the puck deflected off his thigh and flew over the left shoulder of goalie Cody Reichard, giving BU a 4-3 win 11:47 into overtime.

“It's a fluke, but it's the game of hockey and that's overtime,” Roeder said. “You're taught to throw anything on net and when it comes to overtime, it might be a greasy goal that wins it. Hats off to him for doing a great job with what he needed to do.”

It was a bitter ending for the RedHawks in general and Roeder in particular.

The RedHawks led 3-1 with a minute remaining in search of the school's first national title in any sport, but BU forced overtime and then claimed the trophy.

“Kevin makes a great play and sacrifices his body,” RedHawks coach Enrico Blasi said. “That's what happens in overtime.”

Roeder, a senior, was playing his 152nd and final collegiate game, most of anybody on the Miami roster.

“This team played hard for 60 minutes and overtime but didn't get the outcome we wanted,” he said. “But we made history - first time in the national title game, first senior class with 100 wins. There's a lot to be proud of. It's disappointing not to have the right outcome, but this isn't the last you've seen of this program.”

When it looks back on the game, Miami will see it went a brutal 0-for-7 on the power play and managed only eight shots in 16 minutes with the man advantage.

The RedHawks finished their seven postseason games a combined 4-for-33 on the power play. But when Tommy Wingels and Trent Vogelhuber scored 3:21 apart late in the third period, the RedHawks seemed poised for the championship. But the Terriers got goals from Zach Cohen (59.5 seconds remaining) and Nick Bonino (17 seconds remaining) to tie the score.

“I can tell you we had the right guys on the ice,” Blasi said. “We knew exactly what they were going to do.”

Captain Brian Kaufman said the RedHawks still went into the locker room after regulation upbeat.

“There was definitely still a good amount of confidence,” he said. “We felt it was the same thing as going into the third period - tie game, one shot to win it. We were confident that we would be able to do it if it took one minute or a couple of periods.”

Once the sting of the loss subsides, the RedHawks hope their first trip to the Frozen Four will be repeated next year with a team that dressed only four seniors Saturday night.

“The confidence we got from playing this far into the tournament and the confidence we have in each other, it's a feeling we want to get back,” Wingels said. “Next year, this will be our ultimate goal.”

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide