- The Washington Times - Monday, April 13, 2009

PARIS (AP) - A 65-year-old man who opened fire Monday on three people apparently at random, killing two, has surrendered, a police official said.

The man, who had holed up in a house in the town of Douchy-les-Mines after the shootings, surrendered calmly, witnesses said.

The three victims were walking on a street when the man opened fire, the official said. Two of the victims were killed, said the official, who was speaking on condition of anonymity in accordance with French police regulations.

The condition of the third victim was not immediately clear.

The man surrendered around 7:10 p.m. local time (1710 GMT) to members of a police commando who had surrounded the home. An Associated Press photographer on the scene said the man turned himself in calmly, coming out of the house of his own volition.

A team had been negotiating with the man, who police said threatened to kill himself.

___

Associated Press photographer Michel Spingler contributed to his report.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide