- The Washington Times - Monday, April 13, 2009

EL-ARISH, EGYPT (AP) - An Israeli tourist vacationing at an Egyptian Red Sea resort was stabbed in the face on Monday, authorities said. Israeli police said the attack was criminal and was not terrorism-related.

South Sinai Peninsula governor, Mohammed Hani Metwalli, said the tourist was stabbed by a Libyan man before dawn Monday in the Egyptian resort town of Nuweiba and taken to the Israeli coastal city of Eilat for treatment.

Yoseftal Hospital in Eilat confirmed that a man with a stab wound had been treated and released.

“A man was brought in this morning from Sinai. He had been stabbed in the face, he received stitches and was released,” said hospital spokeswoman Naomi Yitzhak.

Israeli police said he was involved in a “criminal incident.”

“He might have been robbed, police are still investigating. The incident had nothing to do with terrorism,” said police spokesman Micky Rosenfeld.

The Libyan attacker, identified by police as Osama Ahmed Gheith, fled the scene after Monday’s attack, but dropped his passport, authorities said. His whereabouts were unknown.

Last week, Israel issued a stern travel warning telling its citizens to stay out of the Sinai, citing new intelligence about plans to attack Israeli tourists.

_____

Associated Press Writer Ian Deitch contributed to this report from Jerusalem.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide