- The Washington Times - Tuesday, April 14, 2009

RIVERSIDE, CALIF. (AP) - Prosecutors said Tuesday they would charge a man with murder and attempted murder in a shooting rampage at a Roman Catholic Korean retreat in Southern California that left one person dead.

Riverside County district attorney’s spokesman John Hall said John Chong, 69, will be charged with one count of murder and three counts of attempted murder. If convicted on all counts, Chong could face life in prison.

Chong, who was knocked unconscious in a fight during the April 7 incident, was moved Monday to a jail hospital. He is being held on $1 million bond.

The district attorney’s office did not immediately know if Chong had retained a lawyer.

Investigators say Chong killed a woman and wounded her husband before he was disarmed by another couple he tried to kill at the Kkottongnae Retreat Camp near Temecula, about 85 miles southeast of Los Angeles.

Prosecutors believe Chong was angry because he felt the victims were not doing their share of chores.

“The evidence indicates that he believed that some of the people there had been conspiring against him and not treating him well,” Hall said.

“According to people who have been interviewed, he may have believed that he wasn’t being treated well and was doing most of the work around the retreat and others weren’t pitching in,” Hall said.

Hall said Chong was conscious and had been interviewed, although he couldn’t provide any details about what Chong told investigators.

The retreat, run by Korean nuns, is one of four U.S. branches of the Kkottongnae Brothers and Sisters of Jesus, a Roman Catholic organization dedicated to serving the poor and homeless. It was founded in the city of Cheongju, South Korea, by Father Oh Woong Jin in 1976.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide