- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 15, 2009

ISLAMABAD (AP) - Pakistan’s Supreme Court ordered the release on bail Wednesday of a hard-line cleric who was detained as soldiers stormed his radical Red Mosque in 2007, killing scores of people and energizing the country’s Islamist insurgency.

Maulana Abdul Aziz was arrested as he tried to sneak out of the besieged mosque in the capital, Islamabad, dressed in an all-covering burqa worn by some Muslim women.

Security forces stormed the mosque days later after scores of heavily armed militants inside refused to surrender. The government says 102 people, including 11 security personnel, were killed in the standoff.

The siege triggered an increase in suicide bombings and other attacks on the government and security forces. The attacks have continued since then, alarming Pakistan’s Western allies who are concerned about the stability of the nuclear-armed state.

Aziz, who has not yet been released, was granted bail Wednesday while the court considers the charges against him in relation to the siege, his lawyer Shaukat Siddiqui told reporters outside the court. Prosecutors were not available for comment.

Aziz is facing several charges ranging from abetting terrorists to illegally occupying a building.

Pakistan has a history of failing to successfully prosecute militants, many of whom are believed to have had links with the country’s armed forces.

Violence continued Wednesday as a suicide car bomber attacked a police checkpoint, killing four officers and two civilians, said police officer Ikramullah Khan. The attack occurred close to Peshawar in the northwest, which borders Afghanistan and is a stronghold of the Taliban and al-Qaida.

The government stirred fresh international alarm Tuesday when it accepted Islamic law in a large part of the North West Frontier Province to quell the Taliban insurgency there.

Eighteen months of bloodshed in part of the region, the Swat Valley, prompted the provincial government in February to agree to impose Islamic law to achieve peace. The Taliban agreed to a cease-fire.

After weeks of delay, Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari approved the regulation after Parliament voted unanimously to adopt a resolution urging him to sign it.

The deal covers the Malakand division, a largely conservative region along the Afghan border. The Swat Valley is less than 100 miles (160 kilometers) from Islamabad and is believed to be largely under Taliban control.

Defenders say the deal will drain public support for extremists who have hijacked long-standing calls in Swat for reform of Pakistan’s snail-paced justice system.

But critics worry it rewards hard-liners who have beheaded political opponents and burned scores of schools for girls in the name of Islam.

Western allies are particularly concerned that Swat will become a sanctuary for allies of the al-Qaida terror network.

(This version CORRECTS the time element in first paragraph to Wednesday.)

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide