Tuesday, April 21, 2009


Powder at federal building harmless

D.C. fire officials said a suspicious white powder found in a letter in the mailroom at the Federal Trade Commission building didn’t pose a threat.

Fire department spokesman William Hayes said he did not know what the substance was. All employees who were evacuated from the mailroom returned to the building.



Army pays fines over fuel storage

The Environmental Protection Agency said the Army has settled questions about fuel storage at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

The EPA said Monday that the Army has agreed to pay a $29,928 civil penalty and complete a supplemental environmental project that will cost $209,432.

As part of the settlement, the EPA said the Army has certified that it has corrected any violations and is now in compliance.

The violations involved 28 underground tanks at Aberdeen that stored gasoline, fuel, oil, diesel fuel and jet fuel.


Inmate sentenced for robbery

A prison inmate who pleaded guilty to conspiring to commit robbery has been sentenced to 15 more years in prison.

Robert Steingold, 51, had been charged with first-degree murder in the death of a fellow inmate at the Roxbury Correctional Institution. That and other charges were dropped. Steingold pleaded guilty and was sentenced on Monday.

James Proctor, 20, and Anthony Cirigliano, 29, were charged in the death of Armando Fernandez, 48. All men were inmates at Roxbury.

Fernandez was assaulted on Feb. 22 while walking in the prison yard among a group of inmates, causing him to fall and hit his head. Fernandez’s death was ruled a homicide.



Last D-Day ‘Bedford Boy’ dies

The last surviving member of a World War II company from Bedford that had among the greatest losses of soldiers per capita on D-Day has died.

A spokesman at Tharp Funeral Home and Crematory said Monday that Elisha Ray Nance, the last “Bedford Boy,” died Sunday. He was 94.

Mr. Nance was among 38 National Guardsmen from Bedford who were in Company A of the 116th Infantry. On June 6, 1944, 19 of them were killed when they landed on Omaha Beach at the start of the D-Day invasion.

Mr. Nance was a first lieutenant when he left the Army in 1944.

To honor the dead soldiers, he reorganized Company A of the Virginia National Guard in Bedford and was its first commander after World War II.


Suspect arrested in eatery slaying

Newport News police arrested a suspect in the 2007 slaying of a worker during a robbery at a fast-food restaurant.

Police said Henry Stapleton, 22, of Newport News, was arrested early Monday in the fatal shooting of Diane Green, 47. Mr. Stapleton is being held in the city jail without bond on charges of murder, aggravated malicious wounding, robbery and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony. Ms. Green and a co-worker at a Hardee’s restaurant were shot Sept. 8, 2007. The co-worker survived.

Police said the case remains under investigation.

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide