- The Washington Times - Wednesday, April 29, 2009

LONDON | Three men charged in London’s 2005 suicide bombings - the deadliest attack on Britain since World War II - were acquitted of the most serious offenses against them Tuesday in the latest terrorism case to frustrate prosecutors.

A jury found Waheed Ali, Sadeer Saleem, and Mohammed Shakil not guilty of conspiring with four suicide bombers who blew themselves up on three subway cars and a bus on July 7, 2005, also killing 52 other people. Ali and Shakil were convicted of a lesser charge - conspiring to attend a terror training camp - and will be sentenced Wednesday.

The men were the only people ever charged in the attack. A different jury failed to reach a verdict in their case last year.

Andy Hayman, a retired senior police office who previously led the inquiry, said the trial had been the “last throw of the dice” for investigators. There are no new leads and police say their inquiry has been thwarted by the reluctance of potential witnesses in Britain’s Muslim community to come forward.

It was not clear why jurors came to their decision. British jurors are barred from speaking about their deliberations, even after a trial ends.

Lawyers pointed to the complexity of terrorism trials, which can last more than a year and involve detailed and sometimes confusing evidence gleaned from cell-phone records and e-mail traffic.

“Many of these cases take months, and juries get to know and like the defendants,” said Geoffrey Robertson, a lawyer who was not involved in the latest case. “They begin to think they’re not so bad and they doubt the strength of the evidence against them.”

Prosecutors in the latest case said the three men were friends of the 2005 suicide bombers. Mohammed Siddique Khan, the ringleader of the July 7 plot, called Ali an “uncle” to his daughter and the two men traveled together to a Pakistani terrorist training camp in 2001. Ali was also regarded as bomber Shehzad Tanweer’s closest childhood friend.

Shakil joined Khan on a visit to Pakistan in 2003, where they received weapons training.

In court, prosecutors said the three acquitted men took part in a test run for the London attacks in December 2004, when they joined three of July 7 bombers on a visit to the British capital.

Tuesday’s case follows other high-profile acquittals.

A trial over a purported plot to down several trans-Atlantic airliners collapsed in October, and a Jordanian neurologist was cleared in December of involvement in botched car bomb attacks on Glasgow and London in 2007.

There is also growing public skepticism in Britain relating to counterterrorism operations, partially prompted by the failure of police raids on Muslim communities to result in charges.

From September 2001 to mid-2007, about 200 people were convicted in Britain of terrorist offenses out of about 1,450 people arrested during the same period under terror laws, Britain’s Home Office reported.

LOAD COMMENTS ()

 

Click to Read More

Click to Hide