JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel’s military says several troops who fought in last year’s devastating Gaza war will face disciplinary measures and prosecution.
In a statement, Israel’s chief military prosecutor said Tuesday an infantryman will be prosecuted for manslaughter for his role in the deaths of two Palestinian women reportedly holding white flags.
The prosecutor also says a battalion commander was disciplined for allowing his soldiers to use a Palestinian as a human shield. Another officer was disciplined for ordering an airstrike close to a mosque.
Israel launched the offensive in late 2008 to halt rocket fire. The fighting killed 1,400 Gazans, many of them civilians, and drew a barrage of international criticism, including a scathing U.N. inquiry.
Copyright © 2021 The Washington Times, LLC.