NEW YORK (AP) - The NFL still is investigating allegations that Vikings quarterback Brett Favre sent lewd photos and inappropriate text messages to a New York Jets game hostess two years ago, with the door open to a conversation between the woman and league officials.
NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said Friday the review is ongoing.
“At this point we have not reached any conclusions,” Aiello said. “We will continue to pursue opportunities to speak with individuals that potentially have information.”
Phil Reese, the manager for the former hostess, Jenn Sterger, told The Associated Press that she is “strongly considering” speaking with NFL officials conducting the probe.
“We’re certainly headed in that direction,” added her lawyer, Joseph Conway. “We do have a dialogue with the NFL in terms of a potential meeting. There’s nothing definitive.”
The New York Daily News first reported that Sterger may meet with NFL investigators next week, citing unidentified sources.
Now the Vikings QB, Favre was interviewed by NFL vice president for security Milt Ahlerich on Tuesday about his alleged advances toward Sterger in 2008, when Favre played for the Jets. Neither he nor the NFL has provided details of that meeting.
“That’s a league issue,” Favre said this week as Minnesota prepared to play Green Bay, “that I just have to leave at that.”
Sterger has not commented on the allegations, which were posted on website Deadspin. The site said Sterger would not agree to an interview and it paid a third party for the texts, voicemails and graphic photos, said to be of Favre, that it posted in a video.
Reese said that Sterger, now a TV personality for the Versus network, also has had no discussions with Favre representatives about a possible financial settlement stemming from the allegations.
A.J. Daulerio, Deadspin’s editor in chief, posted on the website Wednesday that he told Ahlerich he was willing to cooperate with the NFL, but “any and all information we have to offer is available on the site” and he wouldn’t provide anything more than that at this point.
NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a web chat on Thursday that the league is “working hard” on the development of a workplace conduct training program for all teams and expects to roll it out by the end of the season. That program was spurred by a separate situation earlier this year in which a female reporter for a Mexican TV network said she felt uncomfortable being in the Jets locker room.
Copyright © 2023 The Washington Times, LLC.