- Associated Press - Monday, September 6, 2010

MAPUTO, MOZAMBIQUE (AP) - Mozambicans found Monday they could not send text messages, after some used the technology to call for protests in this impoverished country over increases in food, water and electricity prices.

Protests last week in the capital, Maputo, turned violent, with demonstrators clashing with police. The health department said three people died Monday from injuries in the violence last week, bringing the toll to 13.

Maputo was calm over the weekend and early Monday, though many workers and students stayed home for fear of more violence. Police reported finding a few burning tires blocking streets, but no protesters at the barricades.

State radio reported that about 200 people protested Monday in the central province of Tete, and 12 people were arrested on charges of inciting the demonstrations. No injuries were reported.

Maputo police spokeswoman Silvia Mahumane said Monday that police were patrolling the capital and that the city was calm. She said police did not use excessive force _ as some protesters say they did.

“I think the rioters used force against the police,” she said. “What our men did was to restore law and order.”

It was not immediately clear whether the interruption in cell phone messaging was part of a government crackdown.

Also Monday, state radio reported nine people have been arrested on incitement charges for sending cell phone messages calling for protests. The radio report said six were arrested Sunday and another three on Monday in Nampula for trying to spread the protests to that northern province. Nampula has so far seen no unrest.

No one has claimed responsibility for organizing the protests sparked by rises in the government-set price of bread, water and electricity.

Energy Minister Salvador Namburete told state radio on Monday that the recent increase in the price of electricity was necessary to cover the cost of electrifying rural areas and constructing a new power line in the country’s northwest.

He added that the rioters caused more than $400,000 worth of damage to electric infrastructure.

Authorities have said they were trying to trace who sent the first unsigned cell phone messages calling for protests in the southern African nation. Over the weekend, text messages calling for calm and portraying protests as unpatriotic began to appear _ they, too, were unsigned.

Protesters on the streets have said even they do not know who is orchestrating the demonstrations, and that they believe those behind them want to remain anonymous for fear of arrest.

In an AP interview over the weekend, Afonso Dhlakama, leader of the main opposition Renamo party, said his party was not responsible for the protests. But he and other opposition leaders have tried to gain political mileage from them.

Dhlakama accused the police of using excessive force, and said the rioters’ demands were understandable. He noted that many of those who took to the streets were young.

“The children feel the pain of their fathers, who cannot afford to pay fees for schooling,” he said.

Daviz Simango, another opposition leader, also has called on the government to meet protesters’ demands. A third opposition figure, Jose Manuel Campira, on Monday called for more demonstrations _ but said they should be peaceful.

The government has said it will remain firm on the higher prices. It has said keeping food prices low is difficult because so much of the country’s food has to be imported. Mozambique grows only 30 percent of the wheat it needs.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide