- Associated Press - Wednesday, April 6, 2011

ABIDJAN, Ivory Coast | Heavy-arms fire rang out Wednesday near the home of the country’s strongman, who remained holed up in a subterranean bunker, as forces backing his rival assaulted the residence to try to force him out, diplomats and witnesses said.

Forces protecting Laurent Gbagbo appeared to rally Wednesday night, pushing back the armed group fighting to install democratically elected President Alassane Ouattara.

A spokesman for Mr. Ouattara’s fighters, Yves Doumbia, said their forces breached the gates of the ruler’s compound, only to be repelled by heavy arms fire.

“We retreated, but we are preparing for a second assault,” Mr. Doumbia said by telephone.

Mr. Gbagbo has suffered debilitating losses in the past two days.



United Nations Mi-24 helicopters attacked and destroyed his arms depots on Monday. On Tuesday, his soldiers were seen abandoning their posts across the city, some rushing inside a church to tear off their uniforms and dump their weapons before discreetly exiting in civilian clothes.

Yet the 65-year-old Mr. Gbagbo - a former history professor - appears to have calculated his rival’s weakness: Mr. Ouattara, an intellectual who has spent decades abroad, knows that he needs to take Mr. Gbagbo alive in order to maintain international support, and avoid further alienating the 46 percent of the electorate that voted for Mr. Gbagbo in last year’s presidential election.

A spokeswoman for Mr. Ouattara said earlier on France-24 television that the forces would eventually succeed in forcing out the leader who has refused to cede power after losing a November election.

“At the current moment, they have not yet captured Gbagbo, but it will happen soon,” Affoussy Bamba said by telephone from Abidjan.

“They opened the gates and noted that the residence is surrounded by heavy weaponry,” she said. “Now the objective is to capture him.”

Mr. Gbagbo had appeared to be on the point of surrender on Tuesday, sending an emissary to meet with foreign ambassadors in order to negotiate the terms of his resignation.

But a senior diplomat who asked not to be named because he is not authorized to speak to the press said the overture appeared to be a foil, and that Gbagbo was simply playing for time.

“The conditions set by President Ouattara are rather clear. He is demanding that Laurent Gbagbo accept his defeat and recognize the victory of the legitimately elected president,” French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said Wednesday. “That’s where we are today, and alas, words have given way to weapons.”

Earlier in the day, Radio France International broadcast an interview with Mr. Gbagbo, in which he said he had won last November’s election and that there was no question of him leaving.

Sign up for Daily Newsletters

Manage Newsletters

Copyright © 2020 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide