- - Sunday, August 21, 2011


2 shot in parking lot after football game

SAN FRANCISCO — A man wearing a shirt slamming the San Francisco 49ers was seriously wounded as gunfire erupted in the parking lot after the team’s NFL preseason game Saturday night, while another man sustained lesser injuries in an earlier shooting, police said.

The violence occurred after the 49ers’ 17-3 victory over the Oakland Raiders at Candlestick Park, police Sgt. Michael Andraychak said.

A 24-year-old man was treated at San Francisco General Hospital for life-threatening injuries, and a 20-year-old man was hospitalized with less-serious wounds, Sgt. Andraychack told the Associated Press. Their names were not released.

The violence comes months after a San Francisco Giants fan was severely beaten by two men in Los Angeles Dodgers gear outside Dodger Stadium after the teams’ season opener March 31. Two suspects have been charged in the case.

Police Sgt. Frank Harrell said that in Saturday’s attack the 24-year-old man, who was wearing a T-shirt referring to the 49ers with an obscenity, was shot two to four times in the stomach, according to reports in the Oakland Tribune and the San Francisco Chronicle. He drove his truck to a gate and stumbled to security, Sgt. Harrell said.

The other man was shot before that in the parking lot and had superficial face injuries, Sgt. Harrell said.

“We are treating it as separate shootings, but we believe they are related,” Sgt. Harrell told reporters outside the stadium.

The suspect and the two victims had all attended the game, Mr. Harrell told the newspapers.

The 49ers issued a statement acknowledging the shootings and the investigation, but offering no further details.


Air show resumes day after fatal crash

KANSAS CITY — The annual Kansas City Aviation Expo has resumed a day after a stunt pilot plunged to his death in front of thousands of spectators.

Bryan Jensen was performing maneuvers in his small plane at 1:45 p.m. Saturday when he didn’t pull out of a dive in time and crashed.

The show was halted after the fiery crash, and spectators were ushered out of Wheeler Downtown Airport.

But, the show resumed Sunday.

Mr. Jensen flew a custom-built biplane dubbed “The Beast” in air shows across the country. His website says he had logged more than 23,000 hours of flight time for major airlines and was promoted to captain by Delta Airlines earlier this year.


Jerry Lewis: Saving lives through MDA was honor

LAS VEGAS — Jerry Lewis says his years of service to the Muscular Dystrophy Association helped make him a star.

Mr. Lewis said Saturday that he made his reputation in show business by saving lives. His remarks in Las Vegas came during his acceptance speech at the Nevada Broadcasters Association dinner, where he received a lifetime achievement award.

It was his first public appearance since he and the MDA parted ways earlier this month.

The 85-year-old entertainer said the recognition was as meaningful as ever, but he could not explain why.

Mr. Lewis hinted several times that he also could not explain why he is no longer the national chairman of the MDA after 45 years.

Mr. Lewis also will no longer host the group’s annual Labor Day weekend telethon. MDA officials have not explained the separation.


Community grieves after 4 teens killed in crash

LINWOOD — State police have identified the eight high school football players who were in a sport utility vehicle that crashed on a southern New Jersey highway, killing four of the teens and injuring the others.

Among those killed was 17-year-old Casey Brenner of Northfield, who was driving his Mainland Regional High School teammates to a team meal Saturday when the SUV crashed on the Garden State Parkway in Egg Harbor Township.

Also killed were 15-year-old Dean Khoury of Linwood and two 16-year-olds: Edgar Bozzi of Somers Point and Nicholas Conner of Northfield.

Injured in the crash were two Linwood residents, 17-year-old Jacob Smith and 15-year-old Kenneth Randall, and two 16-year-old Northfield residents, Kyle Beattie and Alex Denafo. All four are expected to recover from their injuries.


Subway clerk cuts power to halt suicide

NEW YORK — A New York City subway clerk thwarted a suicide attempt at his Manhattan station by cutting the power to the tracks as a train approached.

Marty Goodman told the New York Daily News that he raced from his booth early Friday morning when a man jumped from the subway platform.

The 62-year-old agent said he tried to persuade the man to climb back up off the tracks, but had to act fast when he heard an announcement that a train was one station away.

Mr. Goodman found a power shutoff in the tunnel and threw the switch. Police and firefighters were on the scene shortly and took the distraught man to a hospital.


3 generations of family perish in I-95 wreck

WILSON — A New York family returning from Disney World was devastated Saturday evening when women representing three generations were killed in a wreck on Interstate 95 in eastern North Carolina.

Trooper G.G. Barnes of the North Carolina Highway Patrol said early Sunday that a 22-year-old woman, her mother and grandmother were killed when the family’s SUV blew a tire on northbound I-95 in Wilson County, the driver lost control and the vehicle overturned.

Trooper Barnes identified the victims as Rosanny Marte, 22; Angela Marte, 46; and Rosa Marte, 71. Five other family members in the vehicle, including the husbands of Angela and Rosa Marte, and Angela’s two other children and nephew, remained hospitalized early Sunday with injuries. Mr. Barnes said the family is from New York City.

Mr. Barnes said the two older female victims were not wearing seat belts and were thrown from the vehicle, which came to rest off the highway.


City dumps mayor for lack of attendance

SODAVILLE — A small city in Oregon has ousted its mayor for not showing up to work.

The Albany Democrat-Herald reported that Sodaville replaced 35-year-old Brady Harrington with the City Council’s president.

The newspaper said Mr. Harrington missed council meetings in June and July, along with skipping three budget meetings.

The new mayor, Nick Heineck, said Mr. Harrington was occupied as a firefighter and student, but would not commit to returning to meetings when council members reached him by phone this week.

Mr. Harrington declined to resign. He was elected to his second term as mayor in November.

From wire dispatches and staff reports



Click to Read More

Click to Hide