- - Sunday, January 2, 2011


New year causes iPhone alarm glitch

CUPERTINO | Many iPhone customers had some explaining to do after they overslept to start the new year because of a glitch in the gadget’s alarm clock feature.

Users who set the iPhone alarm for a single wake-up rather than recurring use found the alarm didn’t go off with the year’s arrival, Apple Inc. spokeswoman Natalie Harrison said Sunday.

A fix is in the works, and all iPhone alarms will work properly starting Monday, she said.

The glitch affects iPhones using Apple’s latest iOS 4.0 operating system, including earlier versions of the smart phone whose users have downloaded the latest software.

It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the alarm problem or how many iPhone users were affected. Online postings on blogs and social media sites described people being late for work, church services and other appointments on Saturday and Sunday because of the problem.


Atlanta celebration marred by killing

ATLANTA | Friends and family say a 14-year-old boy who went out for a midnight celebration was knifed to death at a downtown Atlanta train station after he was accosted by a man who accused him of stealing a cellular phone.

Rueben Hand was killed early Saturday as he was heading home with friends after attending the New Year’s Eve Peach Drop at Underground Atlanta, relatives told the media.

Family members say police have surveillance video of suspects, and family members hope the killer will surrender.

Rueben and a friend were about to board an Atlanta transit system train when a man accused them of stealing his cell phone, said 18-year-old Diamante Drake.

After the teens told the man they didn’t have his phone, an argument began, in which “Rueben told him to stop following us and was cussing at him,” Mr. Drake told WGCL-TV. Then the man pulled out a knife and stabbed Mr. Hand in the neck, Mr. Drake said.


Garbage mounts in week after storm

NEW YORK | One week after a blizzard paralyzed the city, the snowdrifts were melting Sunday but the mountains of trash were growing.

The Department of Sanitation announced that it would resume garbage pickups Monday for the first time since the Christmas weekend storm dumped 20 inches of snow onto city streets. Trash collection was suspended while crews struggled to plow streets, Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said.

“We are able to resume garbage pickups now that significant progress has been made in clearing away the aftermath of last Sunday’s massive blizzard,” Mr. Doherty said Saturday.

Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and other city officials endured days of withering criticism for the city’s slow response to the storm. Mr. Bloomberg visited some of the neighborhoods hit hardest by the snow and confessed that the city’s handling of it was “inadequate and unacceptable.”

From wire dispatches and staff reports

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide