- The Washington Times - Friday, July 8, 2011

Theodore “Reggie” Spencer was never fond of his mother’s boyfriend.

So when he overheard a conversation indicating his mother had been raped, he immediately blamed the boyfriend and decided to exact revenge, according to an affidavit filed in D.C. Superior Court for Mr. Spencer’s arrest.

Mr. Spencer, 21, of Unionville, Va. and two other men — Phillip Charles Swan, 19, of Orange, Va., and Terrell Antwuan Wilson, 19, of Culpeper, Va. — were arrested Thursday and charged with first-degree murder in what court papers describe as the brutal killing of Glenn Scarborough.

On June 19, police found Mr. Scarborough, 61, dead inside his basement apartment in the Trinidad neighborhood of Northeast. He was strangled and found with a belt tightened around his neck, according to court documents.

However, he also suffered multiple stab wounds, was severely beaten in his face and had his legs and mouth duct taped.

The court papers say Mr. Spencer told police in an interview that he decided to “get” Mr. Scarborough after a June visit to see his mother, who was hospitalized with terminal cancer. While there, Mr. Spencer said he overheard a conversation between doctors, who said his mother’s condition had worsened since she had been sexually assaulted and contracted a sexually transmitted disease, the court papers say. He left the hospital and, after finding Mr. Swan and Mr. Wilson, drove to Mr. Scarborough’s home in the 1300 block of Levis Street Northeast.

When Mr. Scarborough opened the door, Mr. Spencer, wearing a mask and blue hospital gloves, forced his way inside and the others followed, court documents say. Mr. Wilson and Mr. Spencer, whom police classified as martial arts experts, punched and kicked Scarborough and Mr. Swan duct taped his mouth and feet, the documents say, citing a police interview with Mr. Swan.

Mr. Spencer told police during an interview “he is a ‘cage fighter’ and immediately took Glenn to the floor, while choking him around the neck with his arm” the affidavit says. “He said he wrapped duct tape around Glenn’s mouth and head while holding him down. He said he then stabbed him in the neck area. He said after choking Glenn he wrapped the belt around Glenn’s neck and pulled it, but the belt broke. Reggie said he wanted to make sure Glenn was dead so he wouldn’t tell police who did it.”

The Metropolitan Police Department declined to comment on whether any rape complaint was ever filed by Mr. Spencer’s mother. D.C. Superior Court records do not show any sexual assault charges ever filed against Mr. Scarborough.

On Friday, Mr. Spencer’s attorney James Rudasil said he had just taken the case and had little information on the events that police say led to the homicide.

“It is something that in normal circumstances would make a child very upset,” said Mr. Rudasil of the news Mr. Spencer had received about his mother’s worsening condition.

The three men are scheduled for preliminary hearings on July 28.

Attorneys listed for Mr. Swan and Mr. Wilson could not be reached.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide