- Associated Press - Tuesday, October 18, 2011

PHILADELPHIA — A woman convicted in the starvation death of a man nearly 30 years ago is facing charges of kidnapping and false imprisonment for allegedly preying on four mentally disabled adults, locking them in a basement and wresting control of their Social Security disability checks.

Linda Ann Weston was charged Monday with kidnapping, false imprisonment and other offenses, with bail set at $2.5 million after her landlord stumbled upon the four adults, all weak and malnourished, in a dank, foul-smelling boiler room Saturday.

Also charged were Eddie “the Rev. Ed” Wright, 50, whom Ms. Weston described as her boyfriend, and Gregory Thomas, 47.

Detectives found dozens of ID cards, power-of-attorney forms and other documents in the apartment, suggesting the alleged theft scheme involved more than just the four captives.

Ms. Weston has a criminal record. In 1983, a 13-year-old Philadelphia boy testified that Ms. Weston, his older sister, had beaten another sister’s boyfriend with a broomstick and imprisoned him in a closet in 1981 after the man said he would not support the sister’s unborn child. The man died of starvation weeks later.

After initially being ruled incompetent to stand trial, Ms. Weston began serving time in state prison on a third-degree murder charge June 7, 1985. She was paroled Jan. 15, 1987, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections.

She is now behind bars in an event that echoes the earlier case.

Police identified the victims as Derwin McLemire, 41, of Florida; Herbert Knowles, 40, of Virginia; and two Philadelphia residents, Tamara Breedenk, 29, and Edwin Sanabria, 31.

Police suspect Ms. Weston, 51, and the other suspects were keeping them in squalor while taking their Social Security checks. One victim said he met Ms. Weston through an online dating service.

“That was real dirty of [her]. That was wrong,” Mr. McLemire told KWY-TV on Monday. “I escaped one time to one of the houses that we used to live in, of hers, and I didn’t get away so they got me.”

He and two others told the station they had been on the move for about a year with their alleged captors, traveling from Texas to Florida to Philadelphia.

“They moved them around,” Police Commissioner Charles H. Ramsey said Monday after examining the boiler room turned dungeon inside an apartment house. “Whenever it looked like people knew what was going on, they moved.”

Landlord Turgut Gozleveli discovered the victims Saturday morning after he heard dogs barking in the area. The door to the basement room was chained shut, but Mr. Gozleveli managed to get inside, lifting a pile of blankets to find several sets of eyes staring back at him. One man was chained to the boiler.

The room reeked of urine and was too shallow for an adult to stand up. There were mattresses, blankets, buckets for using the bathroom, and a container of orange juice. The adults shared their space with three dogs.

Mr. Gozleveli called police, suspecting they were squatters, then watched as officers and ambulance workers helped them up the steps to the street in a working-class section of the city’s Tacony neighborhood.

The victims had the mental capacity of 10-year-olds, along with some physical disabilities, authorities said. One could barely see.

Philadelphia police soon arrested Ms. Weston at her daughter’s apartment upstairs, along with the two other men.

• AP writers Randy Pennell, JoAnn Loviglio, Dena Potter and Matt Sedensky contributed to this report.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide