- Associated Press - Sunday, September 11, 2011

ROME (AP) - Rome’s Teatro dell’Opera says Fabio Luisi’s last-minute bolting from his engagement to conduct “Elektra” so he could conduct at New York’s Metropolitan Opera hurts the world of lyric opera. The Italian capital’s opera house says it is considering taking legal action.

Last week, the Met announced that Luisi had been named as principal conductor, filling in for music director James Levine, who re-injured his back in a fall.

The Rome opera house on its Web site Sunday called Luisi’s leaving it in the lurch an “unpleasant affair” that hurts its image and audience. Directing Richard Strauss’s “Elektra” starting on Sept. 30 will be Hungarian-born Stefan Soltesz.

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide