- Associated Press - Thursday, September 15, 2011

PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI (AP) - The Haiti aid group run by Hollywood actor Sean Penn says it has received a $2.25 million grant to help more than 500 families displaced by last year’s earthquake move back home.

Benjamin Krause from Penn’s relief group J/P HRO says the money from the World Bank will be used for rent subsidies, repairs to houses and building new homes and solar-powered water kiosks.

The project is part of a $95 million effort financed by the World Bank and Haiti Reconstruction Fund that is aimed at helping more than 500,000 people move back into redeveloped neighborhoods.

Penn co-founded the relief group shortly after the January 2010 earthquake and has overseen maintenance of a large settlement camp on a golf course. He’s also testified in Washington.

(This version CORRECTS that grant will help more than 500 families, instead of 500 people.)

Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times is switching its third-party commenting system from Disqus to Spot.IM. You will need to either create an account with Spot.im or if you wish to use your Disqus account look under the Conversation for the link "Have a Disqus Account?". Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.


Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide