- Associated Press - Friday, September 16, 2011

PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI (AP) - The Haiti aid group run by Hollywood actor Sean Penn says it has received a $2.25 million grant to help more than 500 families displaced by last year’s earthquake move back home.

Benjamin Krause from Penn’s relief group J/P HRO says the money from the World Bank will be used for rent subsidies, repairs to houses and building new homes and solar-powered water kiosks.

The project is part of a $95 million effort financed by the World Bank and Haiti Reconstruction Fund that is aimed at helping more than 500,000 people move back into redeveloped neighborhoods.

Penn co-founded the relief group shortly after the January 2010 earthquake and has overseen maintenance of a large settlement camp on a golf course. He’s also testified in Washington.


Copyright © 2018 The Washington Times, LLC.

The Washington Times Comment Policy

The Washington Times welcomes your comments on Spot.im, our third-party provider. Please read our Comment Policy before commenting.

 

Click to Read More and View Comments

Click to Hide